9 ft vs. 10 ft Skookum Pontoon.....

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by jcalderon, Nov 21, 2007.

1. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Is a ten foot skookum really necassary? I am a big fella 6'4 310 pounds....... Which leads me to believe a 10foot would be worthwhile, However the 9 footer claims to float 600lbs........ Weight wise that should be plenty.... Does anybody have experience with the 9 footers? ten? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. PT

PT Physhicist

First, sorry about not following thru. You know what I'm talking about.

Second, if you're looking to fish the rivers you'll regret buying a 9' boat. Stick with a 10' boat (or bigger) and one with less rocker like a Skookum.

3. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    Float 600lbs sure but you'll get some serious face shots in the rapids a soak your gear! Always go bigger if you can haul it.;)

4. EHB86

EHB86 Member

I've got a 9' and a 10'. I would suggest the 10' unless you're trying to save a little weight or carry space when it's inflated. The 9' is a great boat, but I prefer the 10', especially for river fishing. Rows even better, bigger payload, etc.

5. Palbuquerque

Palbuquerque Somuchtolearn

I love my 11' Scadden

6. LBC

LBC nymphing beads with a spey pole.

Media:
    We use the 10' ers at work everyday and they rip!! Float high, very responsive, take rapids with ease. These things are crazy durable.. bounce off rocks, straddle rocks, over rocks, etc... no punctures yet. knock on wood. definitely go with the 10' if your looking to float bigger rivers! my .02

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I know he's talking about the 9' skookum vs the 10' skookum. I've owned both (and still own a customer 10' guide model skookum), including one of the original 9' steelheaders that came out years ago to the public. So I've spent alot of time rowing them (including rowing alot of the other brands out there as well). A 9' will be very equivalent to most of the 10 other brands out there (well, except your badcats and other similar). You'll float higher and take better water then alot of the 9' outcasts, odc's, bucks, etc.

I messaged you back, but will put it here as well. With the osprey, you'll be lighter in the payload off the getgo over same sized Steelheader. So you're ahead of the game anyways. The 10' is nicer to have. You will float higher. But I ran my old 9' (older designed tubes) through alot of heavy whitewater quite well with heavier payloads on board. I do have more experience running these boats mind you. BUT, I had a much easier time running my first 9' Steelheader then I EVER did with my 9' Outcast.

Now, onto running rapids. 9' vs 10' really isn't that much difference. If you've whitewatered, you'll agree. It's still a SMALL boat for doing it unless you're skilled on the oars. Gotta think, our small "play boats" were 12' catarafts (those were considered small dink boats compared to our 16-18' catarafts). You'll get more bouyancy in a 10', but you'll easily get by with the 9' for most of the rivers you'll be fishing in Washington State. Especially since the Osprey is a "sit down" boat. So you won't be standing in it anytime soon.