9 inches and bigger...

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by davidstrout, Feb 17, 2007.

1. davidstrout

davidstrout been lurking for a while.....

Home Page:
    what momma wants (bass that is)

Some larger imitations (largest about 15 inches) for the adult herring, shad and bunker found in my local waters.....cant wait to come tight to a 30 lber this season swinging with the twohander...

hope y'all like

2. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Be very, very careful with those flies; the stripers will be jumping into the boat to attack them in your fly boxes!! A minor comment, they do seem a bit on the slender side (except the 2nd pattern) for juvenile menhaden, etc.; I remember all those forage fishes to have much deeper silvery sides (except the the dark spot on the (shoulder"). On the other hand, they are probably a lot easier to cast and will still be killer flies.

One question, what feather did you use for the eyes in several of those excellent baitfish immitations. I recognize the jungle cock eyes, but not the other options.

Steve

3. kimosabe

kimosabe Member

very nice!!!

4. Kevin Giusti

Kevin Giusti New Member

Hey David great flies. Ever tie those flatwing style flies on tubes? Just wondering if a longer trailer hook just gets fouled in the feathers? Hey did you get my email. Get ahold of me so we can talk about some stuff when you dont have a handful of bobbins and feathers. Kevin

5. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

Ever try yak hair? It's my favorite for large flies.

Nice to see someone else tying larger flies. I tie alot of pike flies, and I tie them big. My largest is a tandem 4/0 x 3/0 fly that goes 16".

You cast those with a 10 wt? I try to keep mine castable with a 10, because I think beyond a 10 you're no longer in a "casting" rod, and are into a "fighting" rod, only meant to be cast a couple of times a day at a tarpon or billfish. I like to be able to cast all day long and not have the rod or the fly kill me.

Jeff

6. davidstrout

davidstrout been lurking for a while.....

Home Page:
    Yo!

CAbe--The Eye is Grey Peacock Pheasant which is backed by scotch tape and coated with flexament (helps to keep the feather fibres from shrinking/matting )

Re -the size, in the water these fly can really open up and breathe well
    Viewed from underneath angle (typicall predator view) the have the alllusion of a real wide bodied fish...(tey do as you said look a bit slender when viewed from the side as comapared to herring/bunker)

Kodiak salmon-I love yak too (actually have a big order to bang out usingthat material blended with angelhair/mega mushy as well some saddles/natral materials--Ill post the progress--

Re 10 weight etc.---I opt to use a 6-9 weight 2 hander 11-14 feet depending on location--typically I am using 400-600 grains using both hands and I fish all day....a 12 lb bass in current bending a 14 ft #9 spey rod feels awwesome!! CAnt wait for some mommas!!