Thoughts on the Death Star

The TCX 7126 is my primary steelhead rod. As Sean states, it's light enough for summer runs but has plenty of backbone for big fish.

For winter/skagit work I like the 510gr Airflo Intermediate. Once I experienced the superior swing of the intermediate I rarely use a floating skagit any more.

Summer conditions the RIO AFS in 460gr rocks on this rod! For windy conditions or light tips I switch to a Rage.

If you are on the fence, get it. Killer rod, killer price.

I had the TCX 7126 and sold it after a couple moths. Too quick and crispy for me.

I highly reccomend the 7125-3 Burkheimer. :) It has just the right amount of mellow and is truly a 7wt.
I totally agree with haunted by water. burkheimers are the shit. ive owned everything from a tcx, sage one, z axis, and so on. I still have all of them and they all have a special place I believe. but burkheimers are the cats ass. you cant beat them 7134 for summer and 8134 for winter. if not just an 8134 for year round.

danimal

Inglorious Twohander
I got two of those. Never once called them "Death Star". Seriously?
I have in my quiver a 8126-3 greenie- same rod as the 8124(according to MR Godshall)..
With a 510 rage on er I call it a lazer beam--never a deathstar tho.. And yes ifn I remember correctly--that is George Cook's name for that tcx.......

kev

What is a good click and pawl reel that balances well with this rod? I am thinking Hardy 3.75 or 4". My plan is to be fishing for winter Steelies tossing intruders. Thanks

Oh....I just bought a death star, super excited!

David Dalan

69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E
I've fished the Death Star a few times and would definitely agree with everything Mr. Beauchamp has to say. It is a great rod. That being said, I say the 12'3" Winston is a better rod. IMHO it was a bit more forgiving than the Death Star, and a fair bit lighter. Both rods do very well with modern shooting heads in similar grain ranges. Can't go wrong with either, but for $500, get the Death Star.

Funny thing, I assumed (among other things) that the Death Star was super light. I was kind of amused to find out that there are several two handers in the same rod weight that are lighter. Granted we are talking 1 ounce or less difference.

I've fished the Death Star a few times and would definitely agree with everything Mr. Beauchamp has to say. It is a great rod. That being said, I say the 12'3" Winston is a better rod. IMHO it was a bit more forgiving than the Death Star, and a fair bit lighter. Both rods do very well with modern shooting heads in similar grain ranges. Can't go wrong with either, but for $500, get the Death Star.
I'd really like to give to the two BIIMX rods a cast. I've heard nothing but great things about them yet they're barely mentioned compared to the TCX.

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
Funny thing, I assumed (among other things) that the Death Star was super light. I was kind of amused to find out that there are several two handers in the same rod weight that are lighter. Granted we are talking 1 ounce or less difference.
I tried a 12'6" TCX long before they were 'the buzz' and liked it very well even though the only line I had to try was CND GPS 7/8. I was shopping longer 7wt rods at the time and never had the chance to drive some asstd shooter heads on it, which we all know it excells at. Crisp & snappy.. it is a fine rod.

Couple years later I bought the Winston.. no looking back from those first few test casts. Amazing rod.
There is exactly 1.5 ounce diff in the two [TCX & BII MX] I have multiple trout rods that weigh 1.5 or less.

Chawhee

So prices are coming down on the Death Star, and as a full fledged gear whore, I am considering letting Mr. Visa say "yes you can."

I admit I'm mostly an impulse buyer, but I would like to hear anyone's thoughts on the Death Star, if you have owned and fished with one.

Or even if you just want to talk random trash about how dumb it is to buy a $500 fly rod. I'm all ears :)

Thanks!
My brother picked a 7wt one up with a mono casting setup on the Naknek over by King Salmon Alaska. That river is WIDE and he can BOMB flies with ease, probably because the mono behind the shooting head.