Rigging trout beads?

Ever since I saw a huge brown scarf a duckling on Pass Lake I've been interested in developing a duckling pattern. This clearly would NOT be fly fishing as a duckling is a water fowl, not a bug - so that would be fowl fishing! Damn, I guess the leopard rainbow I caught on a mouse on the Alagnak wasn't fly fishing either... I suppose that was mammal fishing, or rodent fishing. Yes, rodent fishing. And when I swing baitfish streamers I'm actually fish fishing. Mmmmm... fish fishing, my favorite!

Ever since I saw a huge brown scarf a duckling on Pass Lake I've been interested in developing a duckling pattern. This clearly would NOT be fly fishing as a duckling is a water fowl, not a bug - so that would be fowl fishing! Damn, I guess the leopard rainbow I caught on a mouse on the Alagnak wasn't fly fishing either... I suppose that was mammal fishing, or rodent fishing. Yes, rodent fishing. And when I swing baitfish streamers I'm actually fish fishing. Mmmmm... fish fishing, my favorite!
The only problem you would have is that all the fish you caught would be "fowl" hooked...

Hm, working out the "skein sac fly" so that it qualifies for FF-only waters per WA regulations. Not that I'd necessarily fish it in WA, but I am guessing it would also qualify as a fly in many other states.
(tongue in cheek, well, maybe...)

Fly
A lure on which thread, feathers, hackle, or
yarn cover a minimum of half of the shank of
the hook. Metallic colored tape, tinsel, mylar, or
bead eyes may be used as an integral part of
the design of the fly pattern.

Fly Fishing Only
In “Fly Fishing Only” waters,
an angler may use only the following tackle: up
to 2 flies, each with a barbless single-point hook,
not to exceed ½" from point to shank, and a
conventional fly line (other line may be used for
backing or leader if attached to at least 25 feet of
fly line). Anglers may not use fixed spool reels,
bait, or weight attached to the leader or line.
Only knotless nets may be used to land fish.

So far I'm thinking it would be like this:

Clipped shank with bead, cream marabou attached before the hook clip, light fly line backing 2" long to a stinger hook, stinger hook shank covered with thread at least 1/2 the shank of the hook, and a little more cream marabou.

KerryS

Ignored Member
I think you are mistaken in your understanding of what a "fly" is. It doesn't have to imitate an insect to be considered a "fly".

I love this thread. It has all of the ingredients to rival the one word thread as worst of the year.

I could of kept my mouth shut, but then again it wouldn't be me. Fly fishing to me is using something to imitate a bug. An egg also a hard bead is not fly fishing. You might as well be using a centerpin reel and going with a noodle rod.

STREAMERS ARE NOT FLY FISHING! IMPOSTERS!

I think you are mistaken in your understanding of what a "fly" is. It doesn't have to imitate an insect to be considered a "fly".

I love this thread. It has all of the ingredients to rival the one word thread as worst of the year.

I need a strong sarcasm emoticon... ;)