Salt Never Sleeps

Try using Salt-Away or one of the knock offs sold in marine stores and used to flush motors. It's a soap formulated to bust salt. I toss everything I use in a solution when I'm done. It dissolves all the salt, and leaves a micro thin coating to protect metal from saltwater. Reels lines, flies, knives, coats, waders..... all benefit from the rinse. My stuff looks like it's never been in the salt, even the gear that's only used in the ocean. I've been using it for years, and was pleased to see that the Lamson reel manual suggests it now.

JayB

Try using Salt-Away or one of the knock offs sold in marine stores and used to flush motors. It's a soap formulated to bust salt. I toss everything I use in a solution when I'm done. It dissolves all the salt, and leaves a micro thin coating to protect metal from saltwater. Reels lines, flies, knives, coats, waders..... all benefit from the rinse. My stuff looks like it's never been in the salt, even the gear that's only used in the ocean. I've been using it for years, and was pleased to see that the Lamson reel manual suggests it now.

Great tip - thanks for sharing.

I always rinse everything after a salt water foray which usually seems to keep everything OK. However after stowing the gear over the winter the one thing that seems to get all messed up is Zippers - seems like the residual salt migrates to the zipper where it all builds up to the point of jamming it all up. I can usually free the thing up after some effort but it seems like I should do some preventative oiling or something - Any ideas out there?

Alki

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
I always rinse everything after a salt water foray which usually seems to keep everything OK. However after stowing the gear over the winter the one thing that seems to get all messed up is Zippers - seems like the residual salt migrates to the zipper where it all builds up to the point of jamming it all up. I can usually free the thing up after some effort but it seems like I should do some preventative oiling or something - Any ideas out there?

Alki
Candle wax before you put them away. Run it up and down a number of times after rubbing on some wax.

flyfool

Alki

I oil my zipper every day. Just in case. They taught me that in the Navy. Then they gave a uniform with 13 buttons on the pants. Go figure.