If you had to pick two and only two...

I was reading through Daniel Oceans, "A Rookies Log" thread last night.

Based on one posters advice to pick two fly patterns, one dark colored pattern and one light colored pattern and stick with them which two patterns would be your top picks?

If I had to do it all over again, I would do the hobo spey in both light and dark patterns. However, because I now tie my own flies, it is pretty stupid how many color variations I have in my box now.

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Summer flies?

Dark: Bennett's Last Light (this is like cocaine for steelhead)
Light: General Practitioner

Disclaimer: I've only caught fish on 4 flies so what do I know

David Dalan

69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E
I was reading through Daniel Oceans, "A Rookies Log" thread last night.

Based on one posters advice to pick two fly patterns, one dark colored pattern and one light colored pattern and stick with them which two patterns would be your top picks?

I say something different every time someone asks this. Right now it would be a yellow and orange marabou tube with a gold cone and dark....something purple?

Porter

Interesting.....

flesh fly

space creature...purple and black with chartrues head and legs.

Thing is I mite change my mind on wednesday ????

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
If this were summer runs, I'd pick an octotber caddis to be fished both dry (riffle hitched) and wet. So basically orange body w/elk hair wing and head. I'd also have an ESL wooly bugger style for tips.

The game has little to do w/ flies. It's about being where fish are and presenting the fly. Flies matter little.

Go Sx,
cds

The game has little to do w/ flies. It's about being where fish are and presenting the fly. Flies matter little.
I'm hardly an authority but this is my view as well. The past few weeks have been the first time I've had steady action when steel heading and the fly hasn't mattered. Over the past two weeks I've had fish on a blue charm, rusty rat, cosseboom (all traditional salmon flies I think) and some chartreuse and black marabou popsicle variant, all in the same 50 yard run. I suppose I really like how the blue charm looks so I might pick that as one of the two and marabou is super cheap so I'd go that route for the second fly.

[quote="Dave Kaiserman, post: 873880, member: 16795" and a Skunk (not a Green Butt)[/quote]
A Green Butt would be my choice for a dark pattern , and if the water was low and clear , I`d want it to be the Inland version .
If I could get away with calling a Lady Caroline a light colored pattern , I`d go with that one - if not - an orange muddler .

It warms my heart to see that nobody has chosen an intruder .
Yet .