Knot Tying Tools - Yes or No

What would you say about the knot tying tools?

• Own it and use it all the time.

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • Own it and used it a couple times.

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Own it, but never seem to need it since I just use my fingers.

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • I Don't own one, but I plan to get one.

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Total waste of money.

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters

PatrickH

I was wondering how many people use or don't use the Knot tying tools.
Are they worth picking up or just a waste of money?
Is one tool better then another?
What's a good one to get?
Are they just for people who have a hard time tying small knots or?
I know a shoe horn helps you put your shoes on, but it's not really needed. Well, unless you have a hard time putting on your shoes :(

David Loy

Senior Moment
No, I don't usually carry it, but maybe should. It ties a good nail knot but I also like the teeth when tying surgeons knots, or anytime I need to reach through a loop and grab a tag.

I bought a Tie-Fast combo nippers a couple of years ago and after decades of doing nail knots by hand I love the nail knot feature. I'm surprised to see positive nail knot comments. I would have thought with welded loops on just about all the fly lines, nail knots would be a thing of the past (nail knot still my preference).

Drifter

I will need some glasses soon, have never used a tying tool. I use my knuckle-draggers bait holder knot for my leader to fly line and it has never failed!

LD

I was shown to take a large needle and heat the point and bend it back to make a loop. Simple, cheap and the best nail not tool I have used.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I used to be able to tie a nail knot. But since I became old and shakier. I've been going to the loop to loop connection. Things are much simpler now. About the only knots I have to tie is adding tippet and tying on a fly.

Old406Kid

I was shown to take a large needle and heat the point and bend it back to make a loop. Simple, cheap and the best nail not tool I have used.
Same here. I've made and given away a lot of these. Just heat and make a loop on the point end, tie a loop of backing or old fly line and hook it to a zinger or wherever convenient. Sometimes I heat and spread the eye slightly as well.
I always seem to struggle with the slope on the other tool.

IveofIone

I have used the same straight shank bobbin for tying nail knots for over 30 years. I have 2 of the nail knot tools including the Tie-Fast model pictured above. I have never been able to get as nice a nail knot out of a tool as I get out of the bobbin. That being said, a straight shanked plain stainless steel and brass bobbin is just about impossible to find nowadays, they have all gone to the flared tip models.

I say screw the tool.

Ive

Preston

I've used a variety of objects for tying nail knots ranging from a nail to a small twig. The handiest has been a large needle which also works for a multitude of other applications.