Methow Shutdown

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
Seems like clipping would be a reasonable start to solving the issue. Wouldn't fix everything, buta start.
I think that you'd have to convince the Colville's to require the net pen operator, Pacific Aquaculture, to clip the fish. Since selling these triploids as "Columbia River Steelhead" to unsuspecting restaurants and grocery stores is big business for their parent company, Pacific Seafood, so I highly doubt that they will want to do anything to cause doubt about what these zombies really are. I know that restaurants and fish markets I've talked to had no idea they were selling net pen raised triploid rainbows. And, unfortunately there is no law (that I can find) that prohibits them from 'mislabeling' the triploid rainbows as steelhead.

http://www.pacseafood.com/default.aspx?page=399

If I had my way, everyone who got a Columbia River Endorsement would have to take a class and pass a test about the rules and reasons for them before they got their Endorsement - and they would loose it if they got caught violating the rules in the system.

So because I fish the Klick I need to learn all the crazy rules you guys have to follow?

Agreed about losing the license for violations. Doesn't that already happen?

So because I fish the Klick I need to learn all the crazy rules you guys have to follow?

Agreed about losing the license for violations. Doesn't that already happen?
Considering that I have friends who have witnessed guys bonk native steelhead on the Klick, I think anyone targeting our native anadramous fishes in this state should have to pass some kind of class to partake in the resource. You have to do it for hunting... why not fishing?

Considering that I have friends who have witnessed guys bonk native steelhead on the Klick, I think anyone targeting our native anadramous fishes in this state should have to pass some kind of class to partake in the resource. You have to do it for hunting... why not fishing?
and people still poach wild game, but I'm sure it is at a smaller rate compared to if people did not have to pass the hunter education class. This is a solid idea

My point is there is a big difference between knowing the general regs for the region and knowing all the regs for the entire watershed.

Hunters take a safety class. Tough to kill somebody with a fishing pole, or is that the reasoning behind the new barbless rule!

My point is there is a big difference between knowing the general regs for the region and knowing all the regs for the entire watershed.

Hunters take a safety class. Tough to kill somebody with a fishing pole, or is that the reasoning behind the new barbless rule!
My experience with the hunter education course is that it was about half safety, half resource stewardship, species identification, and management. Cut out the safety portion, and teach anglers the rest.

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Doesn't really matter how educated people are they will still do dumb shit.

All that money to host classes would be served just fine spent on other means to promote natives

David Dalan

69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E
My experience with the hunter education course is that it was about half safety, half resource stewardship, species identification, and management. Cut out the safety portion, and teach anglers the rest.

Yeah, hunters was a long time ago for me, but safety was just part of it. I think angling classes could be very useful. Do it like hunters Ed...one time requirement to get a license. Cover stuff like general rules, where to find updated information, etc.

Not perfect, but why not?

And how do you pay for this? Less wardens? Increased fees?

How many poachers are just clueless vs knowingly poaching?

I like the idea but the logistics are a nightmare. Whatever test you ran would only be applicable to the entire state. You couldn't even say don't kill wild fish because you can do that on some waters.

I'd rather see that same money invested in enforcement.

I like the idea but the logistics are a nightmare. Whatever test you ran would only be applicable to the entire state. You couldn't even say don't kill wild fish because you can do that on some waters.

I'd rather see that same money invested in enforcement.
It's a pay to play system: The user pays for their attendance in the class. Have it be taught by volunteers. I don't see where this mountains of expense would come from as it would likely be all classroom stuff.

You couldn't even say don't kill wild fish because you can do that on some waters.
Right. And the idea is to educate them on this and why it's okay in some places, and not on others.