Mantis shrimp

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
Figured I would post a new thread for this one in case you weren't paying attention to this months fly salon, I did a few shrimp patterns and a friend suggested I tie one of these. What a fun tie this turned out to be. I was thinking about what to use for the eyes and claws all day and had to do a bit of experimenting when I got home, but the end result turned out pretty cool.

Enjoy
Mantis shrimp1.jpg IMG_8539.JPG

IMG_8555.JPG

Again! Stunning Pat.

Q - CCG to strengthen the claws? I noted this on your Crayfish pattern. Does this hold up well or need to be repaired often?

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
Thanks glad you like it.
Thats actually just 5 minute epoxy, I use it on hopper legs and They seem to hold up pretty well, better than the bucktail anyways. But my crawdad claws dont have it they just have nail polish on the tips.

2nd attempt. and no It wont get fished. Essentially its just a fly box decoration. Took a couple hours to finish but it was worth it.
View attachment 35026
View attachment 35027
Wow I have caught a lot of mantis Shrimp and ate them both in Christmas Island and in the Cook Islands-the pattern looks great although they are no where as colorfull-your's looks more appetizing.The ones we eat are about 8-12 inches long-MM MM good

porterHause

Just call me Jon
Well if I had asked for the boring grey mantis shrimp that wouldn't have been much of a challenge... :)

Wow I have caught a lot of mantis Shrimp and ate them both in Christmas Island and in the Cook Islands-the pattern looks great although they are no where as colorfull-your's looks more appetizing.The ones we eat are about 8-12 inches long-MM MM good