South Sound Squimp migration in full swing !!!

Sorry, couldn't resist using that title.... At a undisclosed MA13 location the fight was on, best day I've had for some time and lasted through high slack before slowing down. I seldom take SRC pictures anymore but couldn't help myself today. Landed many between 13" and 17" but most were around 14". The squimp caught most but I also caught some on a very small clouser around 2" long, using a 5wt, floating line and long leader, takes were very soft and a slow retrieve was paramount....

All fish were released unharmed !!!! I was the only one shaken up !!!

DSCN2748.jpg
DSCN2750.jpg
DSCN2751.jpg
DSCN2752.jpg
DSCN2755.jpg

Dipnet

The wanted posters say Tim Hartman
Beautiful fish and nice report, Mark!

I've been thinking of tying up some more shrimpy looking flies lately.

Thanks for the inspiration and goad!!

I've been housebound for the last four days with a really nasty cold and can't wait to hit the beach again!

Killer cool Mark! Fantastic day out, I may have to try and sneak some SRC time tomorrow. Glad you got out and had a good session!
I also love that fly, my go to pattern 90% of the time!

Nice fish!

Has anyone ever tried fishing GP's for SRCs?
Yes, years ago when I tied alot of GP's for steelhead I tried them for cutts with not much luck, I thought they'd work well but I think most shrimp that size tend to be in deep water so figured cutt's probably didn't see them that often. Anyway thats were the idea came from, these are tied on a #6 and #8 hook.

Actually that is the second version, here's a pic of the original. I think they both work about the same but the rabbit, red GP breast feather gives it a little more realism.... Probably doesn't matter to the fish.....

DSCN1589.JPG

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Yes, thanks for sharing! Looks like it was a good day. Your updated Squimp looks pretty hot, but I'll have to tie some like your originals , since I don't have any Golden Pheasant breast feathers.

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Yes, years ago when I tied alot of GP's for steelhead I tried them for cutts with not much luck, I thought they'd work well but I think most shrimp that size tend to be in deep water so figured cutt's probably didn't see them that often. Anyway thats were the idea came from, these are tied on a #6 and #8 hook.

Actually that is the second version, here's a pic of the original. I think they both work about the same but the rabbit, red GP breast feather gives it a little more realism.... Probably doesn't matter to the fish.....

View attachment 35663
Interesting, thanks for sharing. When I get a bigger apt/house I want to get into fly tying. GF has too much shit everywhere in this 800sq ft place

nic

Mark

Excellent flies.

You said that a slow retrieve was imperative.
Does your retrieve vary relative to a slow, medium or fast current?
And have you ever used a dead drift in the current with the fly?