Who else here ties Crystal flash on ...

Ira,
I love that. My goal has been to simplify my chironomid patterns and this is great.
I have some very nice looking flies sz14 'mids with about 8 different materials, and while they look great, they take a while to tie and are sometimes a pain. I can do a version of your fly with three materials and I have a hunch the fish won't mind one bit. I am going to tie that pattern in several different thread colors.
Thanks for sharing.

I tie a mid emerger pattern for fishing in the film and I use the twisted Krystal flash.
If you loop it for a short tail then give it a twist it makes a great trailing shuck.

Got a pick of what you're talking about?

I'm usually pretty good at visualizing things, but can quite picture it.....

chewydog

I believe the OP was referring to a tail.I've used KF in various attributes of a midge, including bodies, short emerger wings, flashy head stuff. Tails...midges don't have tails. Shucks maybe on the surface where they crawl out of them...but tails? OK, fish have a pea brain and there are a series of these:

GAT

Dumbfounded
I've seen the midge emerger patterns with a bit of flash for a "tail" but I honestly don't see the point. .. so if they work, I'm going along with chewydog and blame the pea brain of a fish for any success the pattern might have.

What the heck, if it works, who cares why?.... that's my stance.

I believe the OP was referring to a tail.I've used KF in various attributes of a midge, including bodies, short emerger wings, flashy head stuff. Tails...midges don't have tails. Shucks maybe on the surface where they crawl out of them...but tails? OK, fish have a pea brain and there are a series of these:

Yeah, I guess I should have clarified it a bit better. Some of the natural chironomids have just a tiny bit of white on the end, and I've seen a lot of patterns with Antron, Ostr. herl, whatever...

Just was curious about different techniques. Cool bug though.

And I'm with you guys on the "whatever works" theory. I have a "go to" woolly bugger, that looks like absolutely nothing, but has killer action when swung or stripped.