Shoes for flats/reefs/beaches (headed to Kauai)

Hey everybody,

I'm going to be headed to Kauai at the end of March. Any suggestions for footwear? I've seen the flats shoes but is it really nessisary?

Thanks!

So I'm guessing the tabi's will be good? Just hard to beat at around 20-30$, especially as I don't think they will see that much use here at home

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ham

Hey everybody,

I'm going to be headed to Kauai at the end of March. Any suggestions for footwear? I've seen the flats shoes but is it really nessisary?

Thanks!
I would recommend some type of bootie. I wore sandals when I fished on Oahu and the tops of my feet got these stinging little micro cuts that were annoying. Now I just wear some cheap kayaking booties for saltwater. Good luck with the o'io!

If the flats are hard you'll be ok bare footed. BUT..... many will be like shell filled muck and will suck some footwear right off your feet. I would get some sort of booty - of the shoe variety

Dipnet

The wanted posters say Tim Hartman
Not sure I'd wanna go barefoot in those tropical waters as there's too many sharp, stingy, bitey and venomous things! :eek:

When I was fishing Oahu and Kauai last September I wore these, which is what I wear here for warm weather salty wading: http://www.skechers.com/style/63647/pebble-viktor/blk.

I got them really cheap - a lot less than half of the listed price. They weren't the best for gripping slippery rocks but I managed.

OTOH, I think the Tabis are a great way to go as they provide more protection and better footing and the price is right. I believe you can get them both rubber and felt-soled.

Regardless of what you wear and catch, you'll have a great time! Be sure to pick up some poke for lunch or dinner! It's awesome! :)

BTW, be sure to post a report of your endeavors over there!

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
Tabi's felt sole and you are done. I've used mine that I bought on Kauai all over the place now and they work great. The only problem I have found is they got a bit stinky.