SBS Quigley's Midget Caddis SBS

ScottP

Not a whole lot of info on this fly and only found a few pics to go by. Kind of an ungulate take on an Iris/Clacka Caddis; don't know that it'll replace them for me, but a cool fly from the late, great Mr. Quigley. Tied in tan here for those western summer caddis; change colors to suit your needs.

hook - Allen 2488 #16
thread - UTC 70 tan
tail - deer hair
rib - Krystal Flash rootbeer
abdomen - Hare's Ear dubbing
wing pad/wing - deer hair
antenna - Krystal Flash rootbeer
indicator - Congo Hair white
hackle - barred tan

mash down barb, attach thread, tie in rib back to bend

clean, stack, measure (gap width) a few deer hairs; tie in/trim butts

dub thread, dub sparse body

rib body; tie off and move to point 1 eye width back from eye

clean, stack and measure (shank length) a clump of deer hair; tie in with 2 soft loops, wrap back to point above hook point

fold butts over so they extend a bit past bend (I used a piece of rubber leg material to pull back on them and create the proper fold, but with only 2 hands available, can't show it); tie down, trim butts and smooth with thread wraps

tie in KF antenna and fold on either side of body

tie in indicator

tie in hackle; wrap to front; tie off, half hitch x 2, SHHAN

trim indicator, trim antenna and you're done; if you want a flush-floater, trim out a vee on the underside hackle

fish-eye view

Regards,
Scott

Interesting. Just looking at the pattern, I'm wondering if a hackle trim on the bottom would be needed to keep it floating upright consistently.

Rob Ast

I tied up a few last night. Pretty straight forward tie and they came out looking good. Now I just need a place to fish them.

riseform

Thank you Scott.

I really wanted to tie this fly and could never find a quality picture with adequate focus to consistently pick apart the design. Half of them seem to have hackle tip wings extending back? I've become so fond the Quigley crane fly (same body concept with bent deer hair) that I wanted to tie the caddis as well.