Wet fly recommendations

Tracker

I'm stocked with dry and nymph patterns for the season but having never really focused on fishing the wet fly, I'm seeking recommendations for standard, go to patterns, that should be in my fly box for rivers in Montana. With a week of rain and snow in the forecast, time at the tying desk is plentiful the next few days.

Sent from my little square phone thingy...

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
The gold ribbed hares ear (wet fly version), dark cahill, coachman and a gray muskrat version of the gold ribbed hare's ear. There's always soft hackles if you consider those wet flies. I have a box of just soft hackles.

Soft hackle birds nest. Pretty close to a soft hackle hares ear, but still deadly. Also make sure you have some basic partridge softys in different colors. Black and purple seem to work well.

GAT

Dumbfounded
I agree with all of the above but recommend you also carry some Pheasant Tail Nymphs ... both with and without a gold bead head... sizes:
12-16.

Tracker

Thanks all. I've many PT, GRHE & Montana nymphs in several variations in the box. I'll check out the suggested soft hackles. Much appreciated.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Most of the flies called out here are nymphs by definition. A wet fly is something different.
That's true. If you want to really nit-pick, a soft hackle is not a "wet fly".

Traditional wet fly patterns include wings.

So, if a traditional wet fly pattern is something you're interested in fishing, I'd go with a Olive Slate (olive body, grey tail, mallard quill wings, grey hackle collar)

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
That's true. If you want to really nit-pick, a soft hackle is not a "wet fly".

Traditional wet fly patterns include wings.

So, if a traditional wet fly pattern is something you're interested in fishing, I'd go with a Olive Slate (olive body, grey tail, mallard quill wings, grey hackle collar)

I agree but still have a box of soft hackles. Works in almost every situation. Either that or Sylvester Nemes was a good story teller.

Tracker

Thanks all. I'll start with dressing several colors of the partridge series and develope a wet fly box from there. Much appreciated.