NF Stilly slide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the general consensus that this was a fickle-hand-of-fate/power-of-mother-nature type of thing? Or was the stability of the area affected by logging or other activity?

I don't want to jump to the assumption that logging had anything to do with it. After all, mother nature happens and happens with force sometimes. But we also know that the best choices have rarely been made as far as development/logging/etc on some of our cascade hills.

I'm just not familiar enough with the specific history of the area to know.
Mom Nature did a questionable job in selecting much of this areas soils, and soil over lays. Just look at all that concrete/back plugs they put above Shilshole Marina. Several overlays of soil, but far too often the base layer is clay. When this stuff hits saturation its 'grease' looking for a place to unload what's on top.

Is anybody around to remember that slide on the S/F on the Snoqualmie it took out part of the freeway above North Bend.
Lived in North Bend just off the Maloney Grove Rd, at the time; about 7:30PM, my mother was stepping outside and came to face a torrent of water flowing by. Mom and sister were evacuated by boat, dad I and stayed behind to salvage whatever. Just after midnight the water began receding, what mess the following day.

My greatest impression has to do with what a difference elevation can make. Our neighbor across the street stayed dry, water level was just at our ground floor level, the neighbor down the street had water flowing through the house. Until that time I expected we were all at the same level.

GT

Poff

Hope your family and friends are OK. Heard about the mudslide and thought about folks here on the forum.

Best wishes from a fellow flyfisherman in Kentucky (raised in the West)

like a mud avalanche
I've been in a lot of snow - skiing
Although I have never been in a big slab like avalanche I've been in some pretty steep spots with lots of snow moving.
I can't imagine that being mud and trees

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Isn't the hill west of there unstable also. I remember reading about that hill moving also. It on the highway side of the river. And they are talking about the area getting more rain.

Paul Huffman

Driven by irrational exuberance.
Has there been any copter coverage/video of the area? I have not been able to find any in my channel surfing; keep thinking this event just screams for at least one copter, hovering above, shooting the general slide/river/blockage area to give people a true picture of the scope of this thing........
There's a temporary flight restriction around the area which limits who can get in there for just pictures below 6000 ft.

Here's a little summary of the 2006 slide: http://www.stillaguamish.nsn.us/steelhead%20haven%20slide.htm

KerryS

Ignored Member
My mind is still having a hard time getting around the magnitude of this slide. I know this area very well. I have stood at the toe of the slide many times looking up at the bare hillside above the river wondering when it would happen again. Imagining what would happen if I were standing there when it let go. Everyone that knows this area knew it was only a matter of time before another slide took place. However, I don’t know of anyone that foreseen this. An unimaginable tragedy.

My heart aches for those families that have lost loved ones in this event and for those that are still missing.

Josh

dead in the water
Yeah, that times article is pretty damning to any county or state official who tries to play the "we had no idea" card.

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
My mind is still having a hard time getting around the magnitude of this slide. I know this area very well. I have stood at the toe of the slide many times looking up at the bare hillside above the river wondering when it would happen again. Imagining what would happen if I were standing there when it let go. Everyone that knows this area knew it was only a matter of time before another slide took place. However, I don’t know of anyone that foreseen this. An unimaginable tragedy.

My heart aches for those families that have lost loved ones in this event and for those that are still missing.
Kerry, I agree 100%. More than a few tears have moistened my eyes as I've watched the news and I am unable to comprehend such loss. Yet, I too have stood below this slide and felt a chill as I peered up at that slope looming overhead. The last time I fished there was probably 2001 and the loose bits sloughing off the slope creeped me out so much that I moved upstream. My condolences to anyone who has lost a loved one in this tragedy and my thoughts and prayers are with those still missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.