Am I that desperate?

GAT

Dumbfounded
#1
After last Saturday's dismal fishing results, I'm considering making that extra hour drive both ways to fish a lake on the Oregon coast called Munsel. It is known for the larger than normal trout in the coastal lakes but there are fewer of the critters.

I'm keen to try some of my experimental WBs, softhackles and leeches .... especially that light olive and black hackle WB that worked briefly for me last Saturday.

Here's the rub... in addition to the extra miles to drive, there is a 60% chance of rain. Now, I've fished in the rain before and when I was younger, it didn't bother me. And sometimes it has no effect on the bite, sometimes it does. This is especially true with the coastal lakes because wind normally comes in along with the rain... which is normally cold.

So... how much do I really want to suffer just to try new patterns? Longer drive. More gas money. Very good chance of cold rain and wind which could result in zippo trout.

Think... think...

I doubt if any of my current fishing buddies would be interested in rolling the dice so it will be a solo trip if I go...

Think... think..

Maybe they've screwed up the forecast and it won't rain... but if it does... dang. This flyfishinig thing becomes more complicated as I grow older and cheaper.
 

IveofIone

Active Member
#3
Gene, it sounds like the script for a duplicate of last weeks disappointment. Longer drive, possibility of bigger fish but damned few of them, potential for rain and going alone. My experience after 20 some years on the west side was that if rain was predicted it would probably rain. And if it wasn't predicted it will probably rain anyway. Over here on the east side the predictions of rain are oftentimes just wishful thinking.

Good luck with your dilemma. And keep your powder dry!

Ive
 

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
#4
Fishing in shitty wet weather is just part of the game if you live on the west side of the Cascades.
If you wait for good weather, you'll likely not fish much.
SF
 

GAT

Dumbfounded
#8
lol are you really a fly fisher? there's no thinkin, go fish it!
When I was a "young flyfisher" I wouldn't think about it. I would go no matter what... and once would. Now that I've fished many decades and caught a ton of different species of fish, I pick my battles a bit more than I did when I was younger. I've been burned far too many times and with the price of gas as it is nowadays and the terrible MPG I get with the ol' F150 ... the trips are expensive when I'm fishing alone. If I could find some other fool to roll the dice who'd pay for half the gas, that's another story. The trip would cost me 25-30 bucks.

But I'm still crazy enough that I might risk it. I'll keep checking the weather forecast but when it comes to the coastal lakes, when they indicate there is a 60% chance of rain... that's not good.

...I still want to try those experimental patterns... but is it worth 30 bucks if I end up blown off the lake and skunked? Oh, the dilemma.
 
#9
When I was a "young flyfisher" I wouldn't think about it. I would go no matter what... and once would. Now that I've fished many decades and caught a ton of different species of fish, I pick my battles a bit more than I did when I was younger. I've been burned far too many times and with the price of gas as it is nowadays and the terrible MPG I get with the ol' F150 ... the trips are expensive when I'm fishing alone. If I could find some other fool to roll the dice who'd pay for half the gas, that's another story. The trip would cost me 25-30 bucks.

But I'm still crazy enough that I might risk it. I'll keep checking the weather forecast but when it comes to the coastal lakes, when they indicate there is a 60% chance of rain... that's not good.

...I still want to try those experimental patterns... but is it worth 30 bucks if I end up blown off the lake and skunked? Oh, the dilemma.

Hi Gene,
I have fished Munsel a lot in the spring over the years…..now that I am living in Portland it is no longer an option…I have also fished Cleawox a lot and that would be a much better bet in my opinion since it will be stocked this week …..and with "trophies" and "largers"…
Another thing, you can avoid windy conditions by fishing the little bay just north of the primitive boat ramp that is right there where you first come in to the park and see the lake…..We always do well there under marginal conditions and better… we are alway using micro leeches under bobbers and fishing down 6-8 feet in there…PM
 

GAT

Dumbfounded
#10
They're planting most all the coastal lakes this week. I've fished both Munsel and Cleawox when one or the other was dead... they're only a half hour away from each other. Munsel doesn't seem to have the same bank angler pressure on it as does Cleawox so I was leaning that direction.

They've changed the weather report for Florence... now the forecast is 80% chance of rain with wind gusts up to 20 mph... it's going backwards from what I wanted.

Both Cleawox and Munsel are semi protected from the wind but there is always a point where a storm can blow you off either lake. It would be no dilemma if the lakes were an hour closer. I'd give them a try regardless of the weather report. The money spent for gas is my stumbling block. It comes down to risking wasting gas money or not.

It's still early in the season. There will be other trips on down the line that won't be so iffy weather-wise.
 

GAT

Dumbfounded
#12
This is why I wanted to hit Munsel. This photo was taken during this time last year:

Jay at Munsel_edited-1.jpg


Of course the joke is on me. I misread the planting report!!! They don't plant Munsel with the larger trout until next week!!!

Hopefully, I won't have the same dilemma for next Saturday.

So.... never mind. :rolleyes:
 

Bob Rankin

Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)
#13
80% chance of rain and gusting wind to 20mph...
Might need to tie more fly's and save gas money.
That sounds shitty!