My basecamp is about complete.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Yeah, if you can that would be great. You can't buy it anymore, you're correct (I used my inside source at Cabela's too to see if they could pull any strings). I would love to have one like is on the first pic you put up. I know I can make one. They new ones are made with the vestibule built in, so you can't expand it. I'm assuming they didn't sell many, so opted not to make them removable anymore. I'd love to find one to zip in. But will definitely have one made.

splett

I am going to set it up Sunday to clean of the rain splatter from last week end.I will set up the vesty and give ya some pics and numbers.They are great tents.I have used that tent at many a party at pacific beach and wake up to being the only tent standing in the morning.There is one on Craigsliist right now for 175. a 6 man.

splett

Sorry did not set up and clean yesterday,finished sun porch though,yay.

Today I hear a greywolf a calling me.

I saw your add on craigslist for a vestibule good luck with it, these pics might DSCN1007.JPG help. DSCN1011.JPG

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Sorry did not set up and clean yesterday,finished sun porch though,yay.

Today I hear a greywolf a calling me.

I saw your add on craigslist for a vestibule good luck with it, these pics might View attachment 44071 help. View attachment 44070
I know there's a better chance of winning the lotto. But you can't win if you never buy a ticket. Lol.

I'd seriously buy a whole tent just to get vestibule. So I'm constantly on the lookout.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Ah, yeah. I stopped trying across the country. Most were leary about shipping anything. So pretty much gave up on that option. Of course I watch Ebay. But CL has been a big pain in the arse getting stuff shipped.

Bradley Miller

Dances with fish
Had a mishap a few months ago where my old tried and true tent was destroyed by a dog. Had a chance to pickup a Cabelas guide tent super cheap (needed repairs) and started the ball rolling. It was funny how everything fell into place. In a short time frame (about 3 months) everything I had "pondered" getting dropped into my lap for virtually free. As of right now, I think I have about $300 invested in everything for my tent (I'm not including my outdoor cooking stuff lol). But part of that $300 also included repairs that needed to be done to my tent.

Finally got to use it in a "semi" real world experience. Wasn't out in the great outdoors, but was setup in Ellensburg. Had heavy winds and rain. Tent didn't budge. But tent was designed for snow load, so hope it would hold up. LOL.

Here's what I have to date.
6 man Cabelas Guide tent
2 new edition army cots (500# capacity and very sturdy)
2 alps foam/inflatable mats
2 bivy sacks (army issue)
travelchair brand rollup table
lil buddy indoor safe heater with small tank
then some misc odds and ends of course

Here's my full camp
View attachment 42249

My Koffler chuck box, 3X Explorer stove, and tent.

View attachment 42248

Close up of the 6 man tent. I know they are meant to be used all snuggled up. But IMHO, I'd say room for 4 comfortably, and I'll only use it for 2 maybe 3 max. Plus you can stand up in it (well if you're under 6'3" lol.

View attachment 42250

Just to give an idea how roomy it is inside. The two lines you see are the centerline of the tent. I have my cot off to one side. Still had room by window (also a secondary door) and the edge barely went over centerline. I have one of my chairs in here just because I was using this solo that weekend. And you can't see it, but the table I was talking about is to the right of the chair. That's my big bugout bag in the middle. LOVE that bag. It's an SF issued bag (holds their kit and all over misc). Holds alot, can be carried either with handle or with backpack straps. And can carry all my misc needs for tent (plus my clothes and sundries to boot).

And yes, I still have my campers and will use them too. Just nice somedays to go to camp and be about 600# lighter in the truck (especially on those crappy launches).

Thats a great looking setup. Here is my one man version (V. 3.0)
WP_20140709_09_24_19_Pro (1).jpg
based on a lincoln-log-esque teardrop. No setup: tow and go. I hope. Almost done.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Looking good on the trailer. My problem is I always have a boat hooked up. But have an Alaskan camper I'm gutting and retrofitting. Gonna be my steelhead shack for certain trips (well already has been).

splett

Just surfed through that site; thanks! Lots of cool ideas in there. I'll post another photo when I'm finished.
Careful that site is deep.Expidition portal has everything you could ever want to know about "Base camp".I built my drawer system for my truck with ideas from them.

I am planing and sourcing an expedition trailer because of that site.One that holds all the gear,built in kitchen,awning and can carry a toon.One that has 18" wheels and tires and can fit down into my favorite sniggle spots.Tired of loading unloading the truck every time we go which is a lot.Just hook up and go.That site will become addicting and costly.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
It's funny you mention the all in one scenario. Actually had plans for a trailer. But my step brother (a fabricator) moved to Arizona with a different company. He made an awesome two story boat trailer. They had top bunk with two jet skis and lower bunk ski boat. Launch boat first, then use hydraulics to drop jet skis, then launch them. Made me think. Wanted him to make similar. But drift boat would be on top bunk and Alaskan camper on lower bunk. Get to camp and slide out camper. Hit the hydraulics on camper to raise it. Then hit hydraulic on trailer and boat is ready to go. No unhitching. Plus could leave extra gear in bed of pickup. Plus nice not having that extra weight in bed of truck at launches. Maybe someday. But i do a few week long camps. Not a biggie setting up tent for that. Now overnighters is a bit much for the guide tent. Where it's super quick to load camper and go.