Stonefly ID

I've run into yellow sallys a number of times and I don't think this is it at all. The body is medium-dark brown and this was larger and much earlier in the year than I've found them before. I could be wrong, but this didn't look the same.

Teenage Entomologist

Gotta love the pteronarcys.
I've run into yellow sallys a number of times and I don't think this is it at all. The body is medium-dark brown and this was larger and much earlier in the year than I've found them before. I could be wrong, but this didn't look the same.
I've seen a stonefly that looks exactly like the one above. A small species of Golden Stone was originally what is was going to say.

Thanks Roger! That would fit the description, size, and hatch timing. There were quite a few fluttering about and clinging to streamside vegetation. Any pattern suggestion for matching them? I can't find much info on them via google.

Also saw a bunch of, what I believed to be, brown duns in size 8-10.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Gary, considering the smallish size, you can probably get away with using a size 8-12 brown Elk Hair Caddis... or fluttering style caddis pattern in brown.

GAT

Dumbfounded
As far as the nymph goes, I'd probably try a Brown Forked Tail (AKA: Prince Nymph) with a bead head in the size of the nymph. Or, a color matching GRHE also with a bead head. Stonefly nymphs normally have large, blunt heads so I like to add a bead to my stonefly nymph patterns.

Yeah I have a few patterns for that guy, biot tails, tan dubbing with dark brown back and dark wire rib, partridge hackle legs, beadhead. I'm a little curious what the genus is though.

I was unsure about imitating adult stones as that isn't something I have much experience with being relatively new to fly fishing and most of the small waters I fish, the trout happily take generic dry patterns. The case wasn't much different, but the only pattern they seemed to want was a Montana Bucktail dry in the riffles.

Thinking I might try to do some of these up in various sizes and colors: http://washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/damiens-suv-stonefly-sbs.98996/

Taxon

Staff member
Hi Gary-
Any guess on the nymph?
Yes, I had a guess, but chose not to express it before being confirmed by a professional aquatic entomologist for whom I have high regard. And, here is what he replied:
I've been looking at these photos and I can't really see the characters I would need to give a definitive ID. I suspect that this is Skwala, but I can't prove it.