9ft pontoon boat recommendations

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by 5 weight, May 26, 2004.

1. 5 weight

5 weight New Member

im looking for a 9 ft pontoon boat. any recommendations would be appreciated. i have a 8 ft pontoon buti think i should of picked up a 9 ft boat for my size. does anyone have any experience with the odc 915. saw a guy on pass lake this last weekend using one.

2. Great white hunter

Great white hunter New Member

Home Page:
    I doubt you will notice a lot of difference between a 8 and 9 foot boat.Also alot has to do with how you will be using it and how much you want to spend.I can suggest talking to Sos at Xstream in Tukwila 762 6170 or if you are coming over to they east side of the mountains I can show you a boat.

www.greatwhitehunters.com

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    The first thing is what you plan to do with the boat. If you're looking more at using it for lakes, you'll be fine with an 8' boat (what I used my ancient original fishcat for years ago). But since you're talking size, and the 8' boat almost fit your needs, then an ODC would probably suit you pretty good. Just keep your eyes open for sales. GI Joes should have some coming up. If it's more of a lake boat, you don't need to go too fancy.

4. mcoomer

mcoomer New Member

I have a 9' Trout Unlimited Colorado that I picked up new on Ebay for $385. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15266&item=3679218419&rd=1

This guy sells them and you can pick it up at the warehouse in Kent and save yourself $55 on shipping. It's a good float as far as I'm concerned. I took this thing down the Deschutes about three weeks ago, White Horse Rapids, Boxcar Rapids, and Buckskin Mary Rapids and all with no problems.

I have an ODC Sport 7' toon and it works for small lakes, but I have to say that ODC is a decent toon but definitely low budget.

HTH,
    Mike

5. Jason

Jason Trout Bum

Media:
    5 weight, I got your pm but couldn't reply to it so here it goes.

I got the boat at Costco for $420, I don't know if they have them anymore though. Water Skeeter made them especially for Costco and once they are gone they are gone. All in all its a good boat, by no means is it bare bones. Motor mount, anchor pulley and rope guides, cup holder, two bags, cushion seat, bag with cooler, nice 7' oars. I was going to get the TU Colorado off of ebay but they are backordered until June and I couldn't wait.

:beer2

6. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

That was me (Sat night). Overall, the ODC 915 is a decent boat but if I had to do it over, I would spend the $500 on a different boat. Here’s why – first, the oar mounts have a significant design flaw. Instead of extending vertically from the frame they extend horizontally out from the frame. This lowers the oars 3-4 inches below where they should be mounted. As a result, the cargo bags interfere with the oars if they are full making it difficult to row. Second, I find the seat to be quite uncomfortable. It’s fine if you are using the boat for transportation, but if you plan on spending several hours sitting in the boat, purchase a boat with a cushioned seat. The cheap nylon suspension seat on the ODC is so uncomfortable that I’m going to replace it with a cushioned rotating boat seat. Another minor nuisance is that the oars are on the heavy side. Still, I have not had any problems with it and the pontoons are very durable. I have taken it through some pretty rough water without any difficulty. Check out eagle outdoors for good deals on boat. Joe

http://www.outdrs.com/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=249

7. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Media:
    If price does not matter I would go with a Bronco Extreme. My buddy upgraded from his Southfork this year to the Bronco and is extremely happy with it.

When we float rivers or hit lakes together my Southfork now looks like an offspring from the Bronco Extreme.

Really nice boat with lots of storage. I will upgrade mine as soon as fund are available or loosen the purse strings. Bucks Bags makes great boats and they also have a very good customer service department that take care of you.

8. jeffjerschmid

jeffjerschmid New Member

does anyone have any ideas on building a toon frame out of 3/4" conduit. anyone know if it works.

9. Don Barton

Don Barton Member

Media:
    I have an Outcast Fish Cat Cougar

I have a 9 foot Outcast Fish Cat Cougar. It works well on both lakes and most rivers. It comes with all the wistles and bells.

I bought mine because two of my fishing partners were very pleased with theirs. It's most significant feature is that it has two pontoons on each side. This increases safety and lowers the profile and makes the boat easier to use in the wind.

I notice that Outcast has a closeout price on them on its web site. If you want one of these you can probably get a good deal on one.

10. Jacob Mitchell

Jacob Mitchell New Member

Media:
    I recently got the Outfitter X9 from costco recently. It is a little shy of 9 ft but it is an excellent boat. They still have them at costco for about $370 but they come with a k-pump. They hold quite a bit of weight and are very stable. Two thumbs up from me.

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I have an Outcast Fish Cat Cougar

iagreeiagreeiagree I have one also, really like it, has taken some nice modifications, handled the Hoh and lakes very well. Nice improvement in total carrying capacity over my previous 8' boat which was only in a couple of rivers and did very well in lakes. The Panther is a bit heavy, but I can easily roof rack it.