A Better Rod Holder

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by ken2cross, Apr 3, 2012.

1. ken2cross Member

Lake Stevens, Wa
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    El Cheapo strikes again!

In search of a better way. I needed rod holders for my new drift boat and couldn't locate one that was suitable. the gunnel was typical of a row boat, but all the mounts I could find didn't look like they would fit right. I also wanted to make it so I could mount it almost anywhere on the rail.

The photos show what I came up with. Materials: 1 1/2 inch ABS "Y" fitting ($3.27 each) some scrap wood, A plastic latch from another project (could also be cut from ABS plastic scraps), a screw to hold the block in the bottom, a screw for the latch, and some glue.

The pipe fitting was cut out with a band saw and sanded to d-burr it. The base was attached to a 1 1/2 inch round (cut with a hole saw) glued in the bottom of the "Y" fitting. The base was then fastened to the bottom (through the round piece) with a stainless screw. The latch also attached with a stainless screw. They work great.

Attached Files:

2. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    You sir, are an engineering genius!

However, this just reminds me that I still have to dig up and inspect an old septic line. Maybe I can score some free parts!
  3. ken2cross Member

Lake Stevens, Wa
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Woah Jim! those parts will come at a price!

Thanks for the compliment. I don't think "engineering genius" is accurate.
    I just post in case someone else can use or get an idea from what I posted.
    Now we need the rivers to open in decent shape.
    Ken