A big thanks from a new spey flinger

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by fish-on, Jul 25, 2005.

1. fish-on

fish-on Waters haunt me....

Big thanks... joining the dark side!!!

I know we get rowdy at this forum more often than not and that is all good. But I would like to share this one with you all for a change of pace and to recognize the people that are doing a lot for the world of flyfishing. If you have a similar experience don’t be shy and let’s give these guys some well deserved pat in the back.

I went Saturday to the spey casting class offered by the River Run Angler’s Spey shop in Carnation. It was recommended to me after I posted in the forum about my experience in one of the SW Rivers last week and witnessing the single hand spey cast in action. After seeing how effective this cast is on a short rod, I owe it to myself to learn it since I know it will help my fishing in tight quarters immensely.

I am what you may consider a very cautious person; I approach things with an open mind but also with a degree of suspicion. So needless to say, I gladly took the offer to go to the free class but I already had my exit lines ready just in case I find myself cornered into purchasing a new rod or something. I can now say that my doubts were unfounded and I was dead wrong!!!

I managed to make it to the class after an almost 2 hour drive from Camano Island and was welcomed by Speybum (Aaron), John Reid, Blake and a few good guys. In less than a couple of minutes they had me flailing around with a single handed rod and got my schooling underway. In short, I learned a lot about spey casting that day. The best part is, these guys also got me correcting the bad habits in casting I developed in 10 years of flyfishing. Now I do know I have to spend a lot more hours before I can even call myself proficient at spey casting, but at least I learned the basic principles of it and it is now up to me to build up on it. As for leaving there with new gear and stuff- it did not happen. No sales pitch, no bait and switch and no marketing whatsoever.

I can’t thank these guys enough. It is very rare to meet people that are as passionate as they are about the sport and are willing to give more than just lip service in educating and letting others experience the joy that comes with this sport. No hidden agendas- just a genuine love for what they do and the desire to share it with others. Once again a heart felt Thank You.

Tight lines

John

2. SPEYBUM

SPEYBUM Member

Home Page:
    John
    Thank you very much.
    :beer1:
    The pleasure was all mine.
    It is very rare that you find some on the is enthusiastic about leaning a new task.
    So when you get a chance come on down for round two.

:cool:
    Aaron

3. DLoop

DLoop Creating memories one cast at a time

Media:
    John, a few years ago I was driving around looking for places to fish and as I crossed over the tolt river bridge I spotted a whole bunch of folks flyfishing downstream. Well, I had to check it out. Of course I would learn it was Aaron and crew holding and free casting class on the water. I then embarked on the journey that you are now starting.

Fishing has never been the same for me, but more importantly, and I can unequivocally say so that my entire life has been more enjoyable for having met Aaron.