A blessing...or a curse? A rook with a DSTAR

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by E_walker, May 5, 2014.

1. E_walker New Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    Hi all,

I've only been out casting two hand rods for a couple months by now, and was just gifted a buddies old TCX 7126. I've heard it's a hard horse to tame, but I think I'm down for the challenge (you're cringing, right?).

My questions are... should I even try to learn on this rod? If so, what set up should I learn on?

I've got a 520 SA skagit and a 480 airflo scandi w/ respective tips and polyleaders. Will either set up be easier to cast at first, and should I just pick one style and stick to it?

Thanks! I'm a newly transplanted Seattleite, and if anyone wants to hit the river and cast I'd be glad to bring some coffee and flies!

-E
  2. Tom Palmer Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    I wouldn't worry about starting out with this rod at all. It has a wide grain window with lines and is a pretty nice gift to receive (I think I need better friends).

If the priority is getting proficient enough to fish while "learning on the job" many start with a double spey and some variant of the snap-t. These will cover most water and wind conditions and get you started (skagit or scandi).

Free casting clinic most Saturdays in Fall City is a great way to get started. Now we just need June to roll around and get more rivers open!
  3. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    is there an application to apply for this friends circle
    E_walker likes this.
  4. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +1,049 / 0
    Gonna need a Facebook link to said friend as well as his hooker preferences ASAP
    E_walker likes this.
  5. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +771 / 0
    Should be fine. I don't feel the load as easy as with a full flex stick, but the adjustment is not insurmountable at all.
  6. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    I wouldn't recommend a fast short stick like a 7126 TCX to a beginner, but since you've got it, go a head and cast it!!
    Your lines are close to what I'd recommend to an intermediate caster. You can go heavy and short and make your life easier if you care to, an extra 30-50 gr on a short (switch length) Skagit head will make it easier for a beginner to time the rod and also allow use of heavy tips and big flies.

One caution though- if you're a beginning caster get some good coaching, because that stick might give you some bad habits that would need to be broken later on. Most beginners with TCXs tend to hit the rod hard as compensation for poor technique.
    fredaevans likes this.
  7. E_walker New Member

Thanks for all the advice, all. He was selling it and decided to hand it off to me at a heavily discounted rate. Was deciding between that rod and bottom of the barrel new ones. Wanted to make an investment in my future (hopeful) skills! (and something stiff enough to fool around with in the surf... :p). Hopefully it will serve the role of teaching stick, kind of like my 3 iron in golf... immediately and harshly points out technique flaws.

Throwing switch casts w/ scandi line has been a good way to start feeling the line load the rod. Guess I''ll work with scandi at first (summer work) and lop on the skagit when it's time to "go to work" in the winter.

I've been one free clinic hosted by Avid Anglers on the sky last fall, is that different than the one you're talking about, Tom?
  8. Tom Palmer Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Yes, different clinic. Every Saturday (well most!) from 9am-2pm there is a free casting clinic in Fall City put on by Aaron Reimer.

Always nice to be able to ask questions and troubleshoot problems (we all have bad habits that pop-up).

I'm also a big fan of Rio's "Modern Spey Casting" DVD with Simon Gawesworth.
  9. E_walker New Member

I've read through his book. Forget the title, but it's got a lot of great pictures and diagrams. Hardcover, fancy stuff.
  10. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    i think i read that book Diagrams didnt do shit to help me learn.

Go to the fall city class it will pay huge dividends
    doublespey likes this.
  11. Darthmonkey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +149 / 0
    Since you don't know any better, it is best to start off with the shooting head style that is easiest to learn, Skagit. SpeySpaz is on point, use "switch" length heads of 20' or less and weights at the upper end of what is recommended. Even now, I prefer using switch heads on rods less than 13 feet in length.
    Secondly, with tips, stick with normal type 3 and type 6 spey sinking tips, they definitely make it easier for the beginner. From getting a good 'stick' to turning over nicely. There will be instances where T11 or T14 will be beneficial, but those aren't nearly as common as throwing a Type 6 tip for winter fish.
  12. E_walker New Member

Thanks, Darthmonkey. I'll work on that.
  13. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +119 / 0
    If I had to pick a single 2hander that continually gets 'bad press' it would be this rod. I've not cast same but the continued comments are the rods as stiff as a board even in the hands of an accomplished caster. Hence the short heavy head recommendations above (to which I agree). You need 'mass in the ass' to load this guy.
  14. danimal Inglorious Twohander

michiana,SW lk mich
    Ratings: +10 / 0

Thats experience talking rite there........I agree with the above statements wholeheartedly...
  15. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +341 / 1
    I have the rod. It's been difficult because I'm a hack but have finally settled on a skagit 520 with a head. It seems to be working but I spey fish so seldom during the non-summer months that I really need to get out and practice casting more often. That's the key. Practice.
  16. Yard Sale Active Member

The Hood
    Ratings: +153 / 0
    Starting on a TCX is like learning to drive in a Porsche. When it right, its really right. When it goes wrong, it goes really wrong.

Agreed on the switch head and a type 3 tip. Don't use weighted flies, smash your barbs, and wear a hood when you can.
    chrome/22 and rustybee like this.
  17. rustybee Member

Ratings: +21 / 0
    Lots of good advice already given. I personally find this stick to be more suitable for Scandi style casts (480-510 grain) because of how "fast" the action is. For a beginner, I would recommend a 570/575 grain Skagit head to feel proper load and help slow down your stroke. You will find that as you get better feel for the rod, the grain weigh you choose will come back down to the 500-550 range. +1 on the T3, no weighed flies (yarn works great) and hoodie at all times suggestion (you'd be surprise how much wet yarn @ 80mph stings when it hits you in the back of the head)...
  18. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +771 / 0
    550 iflight is money. 550 flight is cool too. Slow down your stroke and enjoy. Its a cool stick.