A Christmas gift for a Yakima Valley fisher

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by pacnwflyfisher, Dec 5, 2010.

1. pacnwflyfisher Hopefully fishing... but probably behind a desk

Shreveport, LA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    It's been forever since I've been home... What would you suggest for a Yakima valley fisher? I'm trying to make a nice present for a surprise and my mind is a blank.

If you got a flybox to open what would you hope to find?

Thank you all.
    Eric
  2. Rod Wittner Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    It would depend on what I like to fish for. Trout? Steelhead? Salmon? Bass? Once that is known, it narrows down the possibilities. Then, that would determine what kind of flies would excite me when I opened up the flybox I got for Christmas.

Good luck. And Merry Christmas!
  3. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Assuming that this person fishes for trout, especially on the Yakima River, I would contact one of the shops that specialize on the Yakima, Reds for example, and ask them to fill a fly box with a seasonal selection of flies: spring, summer, and fall and divided between dries and subsurface flies. A few examples of each pattern. For example, to me spring is Skwala's, blue winged olives, pale morning duns, and March browns. Summer is golden stoneflies and hoppers. Fall is October caddis and blue-winged olives. Throw in a few streamers and that would be a wonderful gift.

Steve
  4. pacnwflyfisher Hopefully fishing... but probably behind a desk

Shreveport, LA
    He fishes for a little bit of everything; trout, bass and panfish primarily around the valley. I was hoping to build the box around the areas fish without going to the coast or Columbia.

Thank you.
  5. pacnwflyfisher Hopefully fishing... but probably behind a desk

Shreveport, LA
    I was actually hoping to fill this myself... I appreciate the ideas though for flies; those will give me a good basis to build off of.

Thank you
  6. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    If you are going to tie them yourself (and that makes the gift more personal), you might still consult the Red's site because they have pictures of the ties that are effective for you to use a models.

Steve
  7. pacnwflyfisher Hopefully fishing... but probably behind a desk

Shreveport, LA
    Thanks Cabezon, I hadn't thought of that. Have a great winter fishing season.

Thanks
    Eric
  8. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +294 / 0
    I don't know about panfish or bass, but for trout:

Brassie, copper john, prince nymph, lightening bug, Pat's stone, MOAL, sculpin of your choice, hoppers, ants, and rogue stones. That will cover all year for trout in moving water.