A couple new inlayed grips

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by CC898, May 19, 2011.

1. CC898

CC898 Member

Here are the latest grips I spun and inlayed, the one in back is awaiting its turn under the knife.

The one in front is for a T&T 9wt and the one in the middle is going on a 3wt.

What do you all think? View attachment 41391

2. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

Inlays? Shoot, I don't even draw that well. That's sweet!

3. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

It's a really cool idea. I like it..

4. slow-drifter

slow-drifter New Member

culd you tell me what material you use for your inlays?

5. CC898

CC898 Member

Yeah, of course.

6. J.Michelle Swope

J.Michelle Swope Yes, I said "bobi-cator"

7. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Same here too. I'm curious as to what you're using to bind it to the cork. I've tried it in the past, but it just released itself from the cork, so I abandoned the idea :(

8. CC898

CC898 Member

Wow, I got this question a lot more than expected. What I have been using is a med/fast curing epoxy I buy from a great guy in the aviation business. It is designed to be very viscous, almost like rod finish, but sets in a few hours, or about 45 mins if you use the fast cure option. The trick I have found is to leave to cuts fairly rough in the bottom, the finish will soak in quite a bit, so you may have to add a bit to it as you go. I have never had one pop out. Another option, if you just want a solid color or two, is to use ship deck caulking. several companies make it, it cures really slow, bonds like crazy, and has a very "tactile" feel to it. It is VERY sticky and messy, but it will never come out! I hink you can get it in black, white, brown and a mahogany color. Hope that helps. I am sure there are other options as well.