A couple of chironomid questions.

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Olive bugger, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I have never fished a chironomid in my life. I intend to change that this spring.
    A couple of local lakes that are open now. Is the water on the wet side warm
    enough for chironomids this time of the year? How deep do the fish usually take
    the hook with chironomids? I ask because I am a fool optimist and I wondered if
    hook removal would be an issue for C&R.

As I undertstand the situation, or at least think I do, the chironomid should be
    fished between fifteen feet down and the surface, depending on where the fishlike
    them to be.

I plan to use my 9 foot 5wt or I could switch to my 8 ft, 5 wt.

So what do you guys think?

2. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

I think you're about to get a lot of good answers :) but yes for starters the water is warm enough and the time to start is 2 weeks ago. Have fun out there!

3. Olive bugger

Thanks for the heads up, Tim.

4. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

You can fish chronies 12 months of the year. Usually Spring time is the best as that's when the majority of a fish's diet is chironomids. Usually the fish are lip hooked unless they are particularly hungry. Longer the rod the better if one is using an indicator.

triploidjunkie and Ron McNeal like this.
  5. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

Olive, I have used leaders up to 25 feet long-a bitch to cast but, but it works. A fish finder helps, not necessarily to find fish but to find the depth and then set your indicator about a foot above the bottom. Then you adjust your depth to determine what depth the fish are feeding. You can also vertically present chironomids using a full sink line. Anchor up in water over 25 feet deep using 2 anchors. Attach forceps to your botom hook and drop to the bottom. Note the depth by reeling down to the point that you feel the forceps free themselves from the bottom. Then strip the line up, remove the forceps and drop back down again and reel up two or three turns and then hang on.

Enjoy,

triploidjunkie and Ron McNeal like this.
  6. Olive bugger

I'm getting all of this down on paper. I think I can do this.

Thanks a bunch

7. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Rigging and presenting your flies is really the simple part. First you have to find productive water. Start somewhere you have high confidence, like a weedy edge where you just hooked up using a sinking line presentation. You won't catch fish that aren't there.

Irafly and Ron McNeal like this.
  8. timlind

timlind Member

I get my most fish in 10-14' of water. Also using 2 chirono set up helps with determining actual depth they are at

Ron McNeal and triploidjunkie like this.
  9. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Troutpocket makes a good point here. What I was doing a couple of years ago on Quincy was slowly dragging a drunken dragon around the lake until I had a strike. I'd anchor up there and switch to chironomids and indicators. When the action would slow I'd switch over to the dragonfly nymph and prospect for a new area.

10. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Swallows are your friend. Don't ignore their presence.

11. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Observation is a key factor in fishing success for sure!!

Ron McNeal likes this.
  12. Olive bugger

Part of the fun of fishing is to watch what is going on around you.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  13. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I almost always fish a tandem rig. On some days, I get a good 50/50 split when the fish will hit either fly. I like the drop off areas where it goes from shallow down to 10-14'. I also like the shallower areas, 5-6' and have fished chronies in as little as 2' - you could watch the fish take the bug. At other times, I'll anchor up in the deeper water and cast right to the edge of the reeds. After looking at this, it became apparent that you can pretty much fish chronies anywhere, ya just have to find out where the fish are hangin. Consider the quick release bobber for over 10'. Some people will with the deeper water, 20-25'+, with a full sink and no bobber.

MB

14. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I used to always fish two buzzers, but my searching tandem rig consists of a chironomid on top and a balance leech below now. Unless they go gonzo on a hatch. Then back to two midges.
    When I first started fishing chironomids I thought my head was going to explode. Then an older gentlemen took me under his wing at Ell lake and made me realize I was over thinking things. Once you get the hang of it, indicator or no, it can turn average stillwater days into unforgettable days.

Irafly, ganglyangler and Scott Salzer like this.
  15. Olive bugger

I really appreciate all of the tips and helpful information.

I am pumped to try it out. I tied some flies today.

16. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Olive Bugger beware of what you ask of Chironomid fishing there so much to learn you need to hook up with Ira get the full scope of the game

Irafly likes this.
  17. GAT

GAT Active Member

OB.... believe it or not, you can also catch fish with a midge emerger pattern with a sinking line!

GASP!!!!

It's true... I do it all the time. A dry line with an indicator isn't always required. Presentation with a sinking line is a viable technique.

We've noticed that midges swim, stop, swim, stop, so I may troll around and use my finger on the fly line close to the reel to create a trigger action where I pull the line with my finger three times then let the fly move freely. Then repeat.

This stop and go retrieve can be very effective with a sinking line... no indicator required. :)

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  18. Olive bugger

Lue, I would probably put a jinx on Ira, if he fished with me. I would consider it an honor to fish with him, however.

Gene, I am accustomed to fishing quiet, flat water with a sinking line. Do it all the time, but with streamers and nymphs. Gotta try it with chironomids.

19. GAT

GAT Active Member

As I mentioned, the action you give the fly makes a huge difference if you're using a sinking line with a midge emerger pattern. You'll need to experiment a bit to find the correct combination of stop and starts for the retrieve.... and sometimes, simply slowly trolling around while adding no additional movement to the fly is the ticket.

20. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

I like to use a loop knot to give the fly the maximum amount of motion without having to move the fly line too much.