A couple of flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Ed Call, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    My 5 year old saw me settling down at my now inside the living room and warm tying desk. She got a big grin on her face, put down her project of the moment and pulled up her chair.

Can I pick some stuff for you to make a fly, she asked. Sure, I replied.

I opened up some of my drawers and showed her a few things that got passed over then she settled on these things, and this is what I did with them.

View attachment 37894 View attachment 37895

She asked if I will fish this fly. I said you bet I will, and I might catch a big fish with it too. She then went back to her project, and I started my intended project of the night...prototyping my tube fly swap offering. Would anyone fish such a fly?

View attachment 37896 View attachment 37897

2. Chef

Chef New Member

that is sooo sweet of your daughter. Someday I will have kids... someday

3. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Ed, I'd say you're holding a trophy in your hand already. When you take a fish on either of them, I'd get a photo and retire the fly appended to the photo with a suitable display location. You're doing great stuff here Dad.

4. Ed Call

Media:
    I bungled the first attempt with the purple turkey feather. It was supposed to be the spey hackle but I broke it pulling too hard. I then decided to put it on top and add the ostrich herl along the sides. She approved and wants it for her fly box. She did say I can borrow it and fish it if I want.

5. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

super cute of your daughter. I would fish both of those

6. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Mumbles,
    Child designed flies possess a unique magic that our own flies cannot match. The fish know this. Only you and her will catch fish on that fly.
    I call it "innocent design". The absence of malice draws the fish to the fly, they cannot resist.

7. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

What a great use of father daughter time :D , definitely let us know how big the fish is that you land with it!

8. wet line

wet line New Member

Ed

I have said for a long time, if in doubt use pink or use black. I like to throw in a bit of Kingfisher Blue just because I like it. Nice flies.

For some unknown reason steelhead like girly colored flies!

Dave

9. Ed Call

Media:
    Dave, me and both of my daughters went on a fly tying material trip. They both wanted to know what I needed to get. My instructions to the elder, you need to find as many purple things as you can. Her response, purple is my favorite color. My instructions to my youngest, you need to find as many pink things as you can. Her response, pink is my favorite color. Almost at the same time they began to ask me, what are you looking for. My response was simple, everything that is black. I've expanded my colors a bit, but those three are colors that I think are going to serve me well. It also helps to have such great shopping assistants.

Full rabbit hides and full bird skins (some with heads still on) are tough to explain. As are all the calves, foxes and deer which no longer have tails.

10. Islander

Islander Steve

Hell yes I'd fish them. Next time I see you I'll tell you a cool story about a bug my little brother (8yrs. old at the time) made for me. It's a long story and I'm to lazy to type it out, but it caught fish. Big fish.