A day of fishin' - Snoqualmie trout to Snoho pink

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bryan Finney, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Bryan Finney

Bryan Finney Member

Terrific forum guys.

Thought I would share a day of fishing I had on Friday.

Got back from hawking voting equipment in California on Thursday night. The lovely bride and the new addition were back in the Buckeye state. So free reign for a full Friday of fishing.

I got up early Friday and went way up to the end of the Middle Fork Rd to the Dutch Miller Gap trailhead (very tough road) looking for Hardscrabble Lake. Packing my float tube on my back I concluded the name of the lake was aptly named. Since there was no trail to the lake I promptly got lost in the brambles of blueberries. After seeing a big black bear (at least it appeared big from 40 ft.) I decided to to leave. Bear wins.

Drove back down MF road stopped off along the way and caught my first trout on a wet fly. (They're bigger deeper...)

Got to I-90 headed for the Snohomish. Found a spot upstream and decided to use my float tube. Floated right past the gear guys to a hole they could not reach from the banks. Using my pink chartruse and right in front of the gear boys, caught a nice 5 lb pink on the second cast. Lost two more because I can't tie a knot worth a damn. Never the less, it was a heckuva a day. So glad I moved back from Florida Keys...

Quick question: How does the Stilly rate vs Snohomish for pinks. Without any "secret spots" any suggestions on where to go on the Stilly after it opens?

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Welcome to the zoo. After the Main Stilly opens on Monday it is like a zoo out there. Just about any place you can find access there you can fish. Just look for where all the cars are and you will be in zoo heaven. There are gear chuckers,jig chuckers,snagers calore,and a few fly fishers in between. But just the main river is open,NOT the forks.

Jim

3. Bryan Finney

Bryan Finney Member

Thanks Old Man.

I have really enjoyed reading your posts and tales.

Does the Sky compare to the Stilly for humpy's?

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I don't have a answer for that question as that is one fish that I don't fish for. But the catch record for that fish came from that river I think. 14 lbs plus.. When they open up for pinks it's just way too many people out there for me to get in the water with. I like to fish in peace and quiet.

Jim

5. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    what do i know, im just a rabid apache

as far as the stilly goes, with this low water, you can wade it pretty effectively, so what i did last humpy run, was find the crowds, and then walk up or downstream of them. usually with minimal effort you can be virtually alone. the sky fishes well but you run into darker fish up there, some of them fight like a wet boot.

snohomish in a float tube? cool man! ive thought of that but havent done it yet. tight lines and ill probably see you on the water!

~sean~

6. Rob Bodkin

Rob Bodkin Member

Media:
    I would echo Sean's observation about the crowds on the Stilly. We typically put in at the "normal places" and most of the competition is dressed in jeans, so a quick shot across or up or down stream gets you some fairly peaceful water. I find it easier to wade as well.

Good luck