A day off ...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by wyo_guy, May 10, 2003.

1. wyo_guy

wyo_guy New Member

Got Monday off and am debating a trip over to the Yak or exploring some Puget Sound beaches. I haven't been in the water in months and would love to hook a fish or two. The Yak seems low and quite wadeable, but I'm much closer to the PS beaches. Any advice?

-Tim

2. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    On our way home from Lone Lake today, MikeD and I saw what appeared to be a pack of small coho hunting baitfish at the south Whidbey Island ferry dock. Kept us entertained while we waited for the next boat. They were hanging around an old piling in the current, 6-8 fish between 8-12". Every few seconds a few little fish (maybe smelt?) would come by at the surface the coho would chase them down. You probably wouldn't want to fish right around the ferry dock anyway but you may find some cutts and cohos around just about anywhere?

Good luck,
    Rod

3. rockfish

rockfish Member

I would hit the yakima or somewhere like that, saltwater is kinda slow where freshwater is doing good right now, at least for me anyway.

saltwater flyfishing in the northwest is a science as well as an art:beer2

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I used to know it all---but now I forgot it all.

I know that this is a bit on the late side but where abouts on the Yakima were you thinking of going. I'm retired(retarded?) and tired of lake fishing. And just looking for someone to talk to when ever I fish.

Jim

5. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Jim,
    You and I have got to hook up and fish the Yak. You go up and I'll go down or the reverse, it dosen't matter.
    Two old farts are better than one any day. If the kids give us a bad time, we'll just jump 'em and I'll throw my famous cougar punch and you can do whatever.
    Let me know.
    Bob:beer2

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Being retired has it's perks. Like going fishing in the middle of the week so you don't have to put up with all the a$$ holes. No traffic to put up with going over to the dry side. Just say the word and I'm ready to go.

From one old fart to another old fart.:p :p :*

Jim:beer2

7. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    If any of you guys are interested in hitting the Yak tomorrow, I would be interested in meeting up over there or sharing the trip over. I live out in Issaquah, so I'm on the way to the pass. The weather and wading conditions look awesome for tomorrow! Contact me via email or PM to work out the details. :thumb

Bill

8. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    yo ho ho!!! i got the day off too monday and i am heading over to the yak. so if youll wanna hook up i can drop you my cell # and we could do some riffles:thumb i plan on fishing from the upper yak to below umtanum. pulling off here and there, ill be wading . got to do some morning errands and then bank at 9am then eastbound from seattle/downtown, :smokin bhudda

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Ok flybill and budda I will be at Ringer's access tomorrow time unknown as I will leave when I get up and hard telling when that will be. Every time I plan something I end up not getting any sleep so if I don't plan it I will sleep tonight. I'll probably leave in the earily AM. So look for a gun metal gray '92 Subaru wagon with a roof rack and a Mariner baseball guy on the Antenna. I'll be on the river frothing the hell out of it.

Jim

Opps I misspelled Bhudda,Sorry

10. flybill

Media:
    Great, I'll look for you down there around late morning, since I'll probably stop at the upper Yak for an hour or so. Look for a black Toyota Tacoma with canopy.

See you on the water! :thumb
    Bill

11. T Dub

T Dub New Member

Media:
    The Yakima is great right now. I fished it Saturday and today in the lower canyon. There were nice caddis hatches both days and the fish were actively feeding.
    I didn't stop by the fly shop, so I could have probably had a better match for the caddis, but I was having luck on x-caddis, and just plane elk hair caddis. The naturals out there seemed to be darker. Also caught one today on a March brown imitation.

The are still really picky for the drag free drift of course, and you still have to be able to trick them into biting which I'm still working on.

Have fun!

TDub :thumb

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

If you look at this in the morning before you go I am going to leave a little earilier than I thought. So I will probably stop up around Easton before I make it down to Ringers,but I'll be there come hell or high water.

And when ever you get there be sure to look in my car because I might be asleep in it.

Jim

13. flybill

Media:
    I'm going to leave a little earlier than I thought as well. Bhudda, if you read this in the morning I'll be at Easton in the morning and then at Ringers for a while. I'll try and reach you on your cell if we don't meet up.

See you on the water!
    Bill