A Day to Forget

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by miyawaki, Oct 29, 2003.

1. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Yesterday was a day to remember, or better, forget.

I hit the beach at low slack and fished through the flood. The wind was shifting continuously and even came from two directions at once. My trusty cigar smoke wind gauge couldn't keep up with the constant changes and simply copped out by blowing back into my eyes. At times, I false cast with the wind off my left shoulder when it shifted directions and came from the right just as I was shooting line. It was a chuck and duck day. I chose not to use my stripping basket. Bad mistake number one. I had forgotten to clean my flyfline from my last trip so the #6 floating bonefish taper became an intermediate sink line and soon, my popper was awash. The slack line floating at my knees sought out what few bits of seaweed remained in the bay. My flyline was a kelp magnet. The incoming tide kept me from wading out and away from the road at my back so I had to be conscious of passing predestrians and cars. I knew they were in backcast range because my fly would tick against the guardrail every once in a while putting nicks into the hard Gamakatsu metal. It's a little disconcerting to imagine hooking a giant Lincoln Navigator zooming by at 50 miles an hour and having all your flyline, backing and possibly your reel, disapppear through the guides in milliseconds.

The water in front of me was a veritable searun cutthroat condominium filled with aggressive hungry fish. They rose to my popper moments after it landed but were lost while I was dealing with seaweed in my line. They pounced on my popper as I was stripping then came unbuttoned because I dropped my loop. They leaped at the popper as I lifted it off the water. I swear I had a fish follow or boil on my fly on almost half my casts. They were suicidal. They wanted to escape from the water and I couldn't accommodate them. I wanted to cry.

Today, I went back today seeking satisfaction. I rose only two fish. Have you ever heard fish laugh? I have.

Leland.

2. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Good one, Leland!
    Sorry to chuckle at your misfortune but the thought of a snagged Lincoln (You would be forced as a gentleman to let him go if you were able to skid him to a stop)on the end of your line is a tad bit funny!
    Bob, the Man, Do I Enjoy a Little Humor Or What.:beer2 :beer2 :smokin :smokin

3. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

Hey, rises, follows, and momentary hookups is better than laying around the house waiting for the rivers to come down. Maybe the rest of us should try the salt.

Randy

" When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee" Isaiah 43:2

4. wet line

wet line New Member

The Snoqualmie was quite fishable on tuesday and has to be even better by now. Check the flow charts, many of the rivers have recovered!

Dave

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Was over there yesterday and the river was like chocolate milk and just as thick also,but with lumps(logs and other floating debris).And so was the Sky.

Jim

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Leland,

Great report. Sorry to hear you were unable to have a sustainable hook up.

On your worry of connecting with a large land vehicle and losing your gear. Sometime back I witnessed a fly fisher fishing Pass Lake while standing near Highway 20 make an astounding hook up with a rather large delivery truck on his back cast. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your point of view, his tippet material was not of sufficient test to restrain the massive vehicle. The truck got away and he lost his fly.