A different sink line question...

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Billy McFly, May 27, 2013.

1. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    Ratings: +63 / 0
    Sorry about starting a new thread for this but it's kind of a different question regarding sink tip lines.

I found this chart on line and what I find interesting is the "effective fishing depth" column.

Fly Line Effective Fishing Depth Sink Rate
    In-Touch Deep 3 3ft 7ft (.9m 2.1m) 3 4ips (8 10 cm/s)
    In-Touch Deep 5 5ft 10ft (1.5m 3m) 5 6ips (10 13 cm/s)
    In-Touch Deep 6 8ft 15ft (2.4m 4.6m) 6 7ips (15 18 cm/s)
    In-Touch Deep 7 15ft 30ft (4.6m 9.2m) 7 8ips (18 23 cm/s)

So according to this I need a Deep7 to fish below 15'. Is this correct??
  2. chief Active Member

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +131 / 1
    That chart seems off from my expeience. I have a hand held depth finder for my float tube, and often fish my type 3 in 20-30 feet of water, and I am able to snag bottom if I am slow trolling or stripping slowly. Maybe if you are casting and immediately starting a fast retrieve the chart would apply?
  3. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,108 / 0
    Chief, that doesn't dovetail with my experience at all. The only way I could ever get my Type 3 to hit bottom in 30' of water is at a dead stop. A number of us that fish Deep 7's actually start fishing them in around 12' of water and then just vary our retrieve to keep them off the bottom. Sure, we occasionally hit bottom but the frequency with which we hook fish compared to those that are fishing alongside with slow sinking lines is noteable.

So to answer McFly's question about using a Deep7 below 15' I would say yes, definately. Sure, you can get down there with other lines but it is often like watching grass grow or paint dry. You want to get the fly back in the feeding zone as quickly as possible and get back to fishing, not counting down.

In dry fly fishing it often seems like fish see the fly coming and hit it the second it touches the surface. How much fun would it be if we had to wait up to 30 seconds before we could get some action on a dry fly?

Ive
  4. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    I agree with Chief. Many of the lakes around here aren't exceptionally deep.
    I use my type III when fishing lakes that are 20-30' deep. I used it yesterday at a lake that is about 20' deep and I was hitting bottom on occasion without going super slow.
    If I need to go deeper on a deeper lake, I breakout the type V or VI.
    SF
  5. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA

Thanks Ive - So do you use multiple lines to "effectively" fish different depths or just use a 7 and start your retrieve sooner?
  6. IveofIone Active Member

10-4 on multiple lines. I have Type VII, VI,V,IV,III,II,sink tip ghost, F/S Type II and my intermediates. I do most of my business on a Deep7 or Deep5, and keep one rod strung with an intermediate. My Type III gets almost no use at all but I am going to get a new Deep3 to use on my new Battenkill reel on a 4wt. I'll use it primarily in situations where an intermediate is just a little too slow.
  7. chief Active Member

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +131 / 1
    I would agree that it depends on the situation. With a type 7 you definitely get the fly in the zone faster, but you may not be able to keep it there. Varying your retrieve to keep the fly off the bottom is a one way solution meaning for the most part stripping faster. That is not always what the fish want. I think you can fish 20-30 feet deep with a anything from a type 3 to type 7, and depending on the day, one might work better than the other. It depends on how much line you have out, the speed of the retrieve, and the food source you are trying to imitate. Probably the most important thing is getting to know the dynamics of the line you prefer to use so you get a feel for where your fly is in relation to the bottom.

I probably prefer a type 3 because in the old days, when you had the option of floating or sinking, the sinking lines were about a type 3 of today. So I am very use to manipulating a type 3 to achieve the depth and presentation I need for the food source I am imitating. But you might have convinced me to string up my type 7 and experiment with it the next time I'm out.
  8. IveofIone Active Member

If you have a Deep7 you have a powerful tool going to waste if it is not strung up. I hope you do try it out and give yourself enough time to get familier with it. This is one case where the new variable density profile is a real improvement over the old fast sinking lines. I fished the old Hi Speed/Hi D lines for years and these new lines are infinately better in terms of both casting and fish catching. I'll get the new Deep3 soon and then fish it with the 5 and 7 and phase out my other sinkers except for my trusty intermediate.
  9. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA

So just so i understand - you take 3-4 rod reel combos out on the lake with you to be sure you have all depths covered?
  10. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,098 / 1
    I do have a new type V that I love now, but honestly I can achieve all those depths with my floater and longer leaders. On top of that I'm able to keep my fly in the exact zone that I want and then move the fly at the speed that I want. But all this means you may have to watch an indicator, how terrible would that be?