A fantastic cast

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by shockedalaskan, Oct 6, 2002.

1. A fantastic cast: Mr. Technique

I just gotta tell someone this story.

Back in November, I had to take an old boy friend of my new wife fishing. He drove over here from Bellevue with his new girl friend and had dinner with us, then in the morning we went to the canyon below Roza. The girls had a little too much wine so they drove over much later, leaving me and Bozo on our own for the morning.

He hadn't done any fishing for about 15 years when he had briefly been
    interested, bought a bunch of expensive equipment, and taken casting
    lessons at Kaufmann’s. As we headed down the bank, I pointed out that
    it could be good: there were nuptial flights of mahoganies in the lee
    of some bushes as well as BWOs on the water. But I didn't help him much other than that. Couldn't help him anyway, he all ready knew all about it. I couldn't figure out why he was standing in the shallowest riffle anywhere around, ignoring the tailwater and casting into 1” deep
    riffle. I was working the head of the deep pool below and he could see
    I was landing fish after fish, but he stayed in the riffle.

The new wife met his girlfriend last week for a business lunch in Seattle. She was telling the new wife how much fun they had last time they were over, how we'd have to do it again, Blah, blah, how Bozo wants to learn more, but that he said I didn't have a good casting technique. Well, Hell, why didn't Mr. Technique catch anything then? The new wife says this fits his personality though. He's a ski racer that's obsessive about technique, and gear and actually skis beautifully. I wonder if he ever wins any races.

I remember that day there was a breeze coming downriver and I was on the left bank. So I was casting mostly backhand with my right arm and putting a bunch of curve in the line with side arm to avoid lining the pool and accommodate a little jet of fast water in front of me. Sometimes aiming a little more upstream with a curve and a wiggle to get a good drift. I'd let the little BWO cripple straighten out straight below me so my line would be out of the pool, then flip it back up to the slot with one backhand. No false casts. No double hauling. Didn't need any distance. I don't think Bozo had any appreciation of what I was doing. The fish approved.

2. A fantastic cast: Mr. Technique

I agree.

I spoke to my father last night and he advised me the same thing. He joked that the reason why there are so many good flyfishers in Washington is because there is no fish to catch and they get good practice.

I suspect it may be true. I never catch fish here. I mean I do but they are all 6 inchers.

I am on my way tonight to rattlesnake lake to catch some 12-15 inch rainbow (I am told my Peter at Kaufmanns) and I will even use a trick of tying a tipit onto a large fly and then going a foot back and tying on a small fly. I have never heard of this practice before but I will try it.:WINK

I don't want to sound like an arrogant AS*, :DEVIL but where I come from you simply take your one of your cigs, tear off the filter, and super glue the small white filter hairs on a hook and catch fish all day.

I've never seen a place where cheetoes float by in the water, bait chuckers don't catch anything, and all the fly fisherman are fantastic casters, and everyone just stands there looking like they are depressed.:AA

I think they should be depressed!

Ohh well, maybe I will catch something tonight.:DUNNO

Yours,

Phil

3. A fantastic cast: Mr. Technique

Hey Phil, try getting away from the city a bit. You don't see Cheetoes floating by in the rivers just outside the suburban sprawl. I've been catching steelhead, salmon, char and SRC the past week or so. Where have you been fishing? You'd think with a big rig like that Hummer you'd do a little exploring? Or maybe it was so easy in the Yukon that you're not adept at finding the good water when pickins are a bit slimmer... There's a lot of good water, and good fishing, around here.

4. A fantastic cast: Mr. Technique

I would love to chat with you sometime.

425-827-0881 r

206-679-2327 c

Yours,

Phil

5. A fantastic cast: Mr. Technique

You're right -- a "perfect" straight-line cast doesn't help when it comes to fishing in many situations. Too many people focus on maximizing distance or prettyness when most trout are caught within 30 feet from where you stand, and a slack-line type of cast is necessary to cut drag.

But, learning to distance cast and double haul is helpful in other situations, like surf fishing, lake fishing, or using heavy flies.

Also, fly casting is fun.