A few Alaska questions....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Gorgefly, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

I knew it would not take long for this thread to go from fishing, to guns vs. spray for bears. George, many good points as to the fishing, so not much to add except, take lots of pictures!

2. hap

hap Member

Not all floats have hatches and spray has been known to discharge in the ones that do. There have been far more people injured by spray than bears. Making sure the wind is right and the bear is close enough is not easy to remember when a bear is coming. The vast majority of sprayed bear success stories are at bears outside the effective range of spray. Spraying praise where no danger existed you might say.

I will make this very concise and not respond further on this thread. Open another thread and I would be happy to discuss it there...

The bear encounter mentioned was in '77. The bear came at us deliberately from over 100 yards away without stopping. Today I would recognize the bear as curious; back then, I saw malice.

Obama overturned the National Parks rule??? Interesting interpretation. And I felt bad confusing curiousity with malice.

I have shot quite a few bears and many that were coming at me. They all died before doing any damage to me. I frequently allow bears to get extremely close without shooting them, but only when I have a good out. Under such circumstances they die every bit as well... Adrenaline is over-rated in such situations, IMO&E.
    art

3. Gorgefly

Gorgefly Member

Media:
    Stayed on the banks of the Chena for three days last week....too bad you could drive snowmobiles on it. Cant wait to go back in August though.
    Hap...missed you at the flyfishing film show Thursday in Anchorage.

next trip will be last of April, first of May.....any possibility of fishing that early around Anchorage?

Thanks
    Matt

4. Gorgefly

Gorgefly Member

Media:
    Chena River last week....

[​IMG]

5. ribka

ribka Active Member

If in Alaska in Sept or Oct check out the steelhead fishing in the kenai
    Very good . When I go to Alasaka buy Bear spray, bells at the local Walmart in Anchorage. Have used it 2x's up there and effective deterrent.
    The crystal meth egg pattern is killer up there for trout and dollies.

Powder monkey and Hap good sources of info up there:thumb:

6. oldskool

oldskool Guest

BDD said it. Aug & early Oct (Sept. if at all possible) for silvers. I've fished up there a few times, my sister lives in Chugiak.

Forget the bear spay. We walked within 30-40ft of Grizzlies, they don't care about you they're there to eat. It feels like you are "in" a zoo. If you do come into proximity of them, keep your head down and watch them from your side view. This shows them that they are in control. It's not like we need to be told that, rather they need to be shown that. However, after awhile it's easy to forget that they are there. That's what I did once, got too close and got bluff charged. I wet myself a little.

But seriously, if you bring bear spray....you'll get laughed at and mocked openly. There's that and, if there's one bear there's 2-5 or 8 bears depending where you go. Spray is just going to piss'm off. They're already half jacked up fight'n for the good spots. (Hey, that doesn't too far off from some of the posts on here!)

Bright green & purple together for flies with a flashabu tail. My fav! :thumb:

7. Gorgefly

Gorgefly Member

Media:
    Anyone know if there is any fishing to be had close in to Anchorage during the last week of April?

8. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    Maybe... it depends on lake ice...

I've never done any good in ANC until the ice is off the lakes... Had a few hits here and there but nothing to right home about.