A Few Questions

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Steven Hendrickson, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Steven Hendrickson Member

bellingham washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    First off I was planing on going to my grandparents house in anacortes and stay a few days during winter brake. So I figured I hit pass lake a few times. Now here comes the questions, I was planing on bringing my float tube along with me and I figure it will be rather cold so how do you stay warm? I know a winter jacket and long underware ect but would gloves effect my casting and striping ability? Next, I was wondering what kind of flys to bring along I had success earlyer this year with dry flys casting towards shore. Ive heard a lot about minnows but what colors and sizes work? Thank you in advance!
  2. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    Layers, and learn spell check,:D
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,601 / 2
    it takes more than just your standard long johns to keep warm under waders. add on a layer of fleece, possibly something over that, but not too bulky because then you'll cut circulation to your feet which means they're going to freeze. which brings in the socks issue; a nice, high end pair of wool/extreme cold socks is a must. i tried going cheap on this, but everything else failed. again, going too bulky will cut circulation and kill your feet.

this whole learning how to dress under waders for the cold has taken many trips of trial and error for me. and i still haven't fully figured it out yet
  4. Wayne Jordan Active Member

Ratings: +14 / 0
    Don't wear cotton if you can help it because the fabric just absorbs water/sweat with no chance of drying out. I start with a polypro baselayer then add fleece or wool layers, then some type of shell to block wind & rain. Don't forget a warm hat either because most heat loss comes from your head.
    I like fishing the deeper water around the springs this time of year with olive or white streamers and a full-sink line. Don't ignore the shoreline though because the big boys will still be chasing the baitfish patterns.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Here are a couple of my favorite patterns. The little muddler works great when the fish are chasing bait, and the white marabou pattern has drawn strikes when nothing else worked.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  5. Fred Aldridge Member

Everett
    Neoprene bootfoot waders and wool socks. I put hand warmers in my pockets and forget the gloves.

Fred
  6. CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

Covington, Wa
    I feel your pain, I'm one of the only guys without a pontoon boat so I've had a lot of practice keeping warm in the tube. Definately wear a bennie type hat and cover your ears. The socks comment is very true, you want warm socks, but not to thick or they will cut the circulation and you'll be even colder. I like to wear gloves, and these will help keep you warm tremendously. The gloves I have are mitten type but the tips of the fingers pull back to expose the fingers.
  7. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +200 / 0
    It was cold this last weekend up there. One of those pull over neck warmers work great, in addition to what the others noted. Make sure that you get out of the water once is a while and walk around. That helps me. A hot cup of soup / coffee can also warm you up.
    Most important, layers, layers, layers and a good coat to break the wind....
    OMJ - That "break the wind" not "break wind".
  8. Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Poulsbo, Washington
    Neoprene waders with thinsulate are a must if you have them. Layer with polyprop. I found these great gloves called glacier gloves, the fingers fold back to velcro so you can tie on flies when you need to and stay warm when your not. throw some hand warmers in them. they come in neoprene or fleece, i picked mine up at wal mart for 10 bucks. above suggestions for flies are a good idea along with white wooly buggers. good luck and tight lines.
  9. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,601 / 2
    posting in a thread about "breaking wind'
  10. Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +261 / 0
    Spent last winter in a tube at Pass. See other posts regarding layering, not cramping your feet up and being generous with your hat. Plan for wet hands/gloves if the action is good...an extra set doesn't hurt. Food definitely. I know everyone hates getting out for a whiz break but don't avoid fluids in the cold...plus getting out every couple of hours goes a long way toward warming up. There are places other than the launch where you can step out for a few minutes...good idea to find those. That said, the 2 main things I found were 1) Feet tend to go first in the cold; 2) You'll build a tolerance after a few trips...by 3rd or 4th time out it won't seem so cold, all things =. Best I found for the feet was add those heat pads (REI, etc.). Bit of a trick in waders, use masking or painter's tape and attach to the bottom of your sock before pulling waders on. They work. Don't expect toasty warm feet...they'll be 'cool' but not numb or biting cold. For example, my setup was merino liner - wool sock - heat pad - wader - neoprene bootie - fin. Pass can be fished from a tube in any temp beyond ice-out. My brother and I fished it from tubes last December with 2/3 of the lake frozen over. Bite was still good.

Final 2 words: FORCE FINS
  11. Steven Hendrickson Member

bellingham washington
    Thank you all very much for all of the good I have learned. Now the only trick is to catch some fish.
  12. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,162 / 0
    If you buy the heat packs, be sure to get the correct ones. Hand warmers and toe/foot warmers are formulated differently because of the different oxygen levels to which they are typically exposed. Since toe/foot warmers are exposed to very low oxygen levels in your boots, they are formulated to be warm in this type of environment. Use them in a more rich oxygen environment like gloves and they will get very, very hot and probably burn you - and I speak from experience! Use them in your boots or waders and they will be toasty warm (plus they usually have self-stick tape on them so you don't need duct tape). Conversely, hand warmers will barely be warm and/or will often basically stop working when deprived of oxygen in your boots but will be just right in your gloves. You will notice that when you take hand warmers out of boots or waders, they will start getting warm again when exposed to the air. Get the correct ones or you'll just be wasting your money and may end-up cold anyway. No matter which ones you pick, keep them dry or they'll stop working.

The best product for winter I've ever used is called a 'Crazy Thermaband' which are basically fleece wrist bands with a pocket that holds the hand warmer packets. I usually fish in E Wa all winter without gloves because when you wear the hand warmers on the bottom of your wrist, you will warm the blood going to and from your fingers and maybe not need gloves at all. I've fished in temps as low as 18 without gloves. I'm a woman and I'm usually always cold so believe me, these things work!
  13. nwtroutguy The Tug Is The Drug

Bothell, washington
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Hey there,

You mentioned the springs at Pass Lake. Any chance you could give soem whereabouts those might be.

14. uncledave corkie stare blind

Anacortes,Wa.
    There are springs located 20 yards offshore near the weedbeds to the north of where the hiway just meets the lake from the east. Fidalgo Flyfishers offer a map with other locations of springs, there are several.