A few Silvers around.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by stewart dee, Sep 16, 2010.

1. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

So finally after a long wait a few silvers are showing up with a nice follow up of aggressive Dollies. Lost a pig of a hook-nose today after the big buck made a run for it I had to break it off with him, although it was time to stretch my backing.

2. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    floated the sky from lewis st down to thomas eddy in the snohomish yesterday. saw plenty of chrome fish with the usual lock jaw syndrome. ended up going 1 for 2 on gear, the fish are moving quickly upriver at these flows.

3. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

It's good to here that there are at least a few silvers in Puget Sound rivers. From my understanding, it has been a pretty poor season so far.

4. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    It's good to hear someone is doing something with cohos somewhere. Thanks for the post.

5. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

I am guessing this rain is going to pull them into the rivers to do their deal.

6. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Good to hear that you got to tangle with Mr. Hooknose. Yes there are some coho around but at least to date the numbers in the river are well below average and so far there doesn't seem to be many holding in local marine waters.

This time of year I spend a fair amount of time chasing sea-run cutthroat and it is not uncommon to have coho as a "by-catch" to that fishing. Last year at this time of the season I was hooking 1 to 3 coho a day; so far this season I have caught exactly 1. Spend the mornings the last two days on the lower Stillaguamish and Skagit and could count the number of cohos I saw roll on a single hand both days; not a lot of new coho entering the river right.

Tight lines
    Curt

7. SAVE STILLY NATES

SAVE STILLY NATES Banned or Parked

As a guy i met the other day said. He thinks the coho are just a little later because last year the coho followed the huge run of pinks up the rivers early. They are coming, just be patient guys. Tight lines!

Jake

8. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    Hope you're right!!

9. TomB

TomB Active Member

There is a saying in fisheries biology..."if they are late, they probably aren't coming." Last spring when the coho smolts went out (the vast vast majority of our coho spend 1.5 years in the ocean), we were in the midst of a strengthening el nino, which typically does no favors for ocean survival around here. This certainly increases the likelihood of a below average run. One thing to cling to hope for is a phenomenon that has been observed for sockeye in el nino years. The warmer waters in the gulf of alaska cause the center of their ocean distribution to shift northward, resulting in slightly (as in like a week or so) later run timing to the Fraser. One can only hope that a similar phenomenon occurs with our coho (only in their case it would be further north along the coast), which would be a reason for them to be late. If I had to guess, its probably a bit of both. Don't hold your breath for any large late run.

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well the rivers I fish the silvers aren't due in til mid October. So we will see.

I don't buy the "if they are late they aren't coming" theory. I know a few rivers that have a winterrun of salmon. But remember quite a few times where the kings never showed in the coastal rivers in October like they normally do. We were down doing some Turkeyday steelheading and hit into a chrome bright run of chinook. Not the first time and not the only species I've seen it happen to. Seen it with silvers on the Puke A LOT. I think the fish want a certain condition to come in. But when they do come in they are usually bullets rocketing up the rivers.

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well the rivers I fish the silvers aren't due in til mid October. So we will see.

I don't buy the "if they are late they aren't coming" theory. I know a few rivers that have a winterrun of salmon. But remember quite a few times where the kings never showed in the coastal rivers in October like they normally do. We were down doing some Turkeyday steelheading and hit into a chrome bright run of chinook. Not the first time and not the only species I've seen it happen to. Seen it with silvers on the Puke A LOT. I think the fish want a certain condition to come in. But when they do come in they are usually bullets rocketing up the rivers.