A first for me...6 species in one day

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Shawn West, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Shawn West

Shawn West Active Member

Media:
    My trusty Simiseal Leech has done it again. I managed to catch a yellow perch, smallmouth bass, crappie, bluegill, largemouth bass, and a pike minnow all in one day. I caught the first four at Spearfish Lake, and the last two at the lake across hwy 14 from Roland Lake.

With the weather forecast showing light winds until Sunday afternoon, I had to hit the Gorge. I fished Spearfish from around 8:30 until 12:30. The water temp was 70 degrees. The fish were not interested in any top water flies. All the fish I caught were with my 2wt rig. The bass seemed to like hitting my flies while they dropped. I did manage to land a 16 1/2" smallie early on. The rest of the fish were in the 8" - 12" range. Once I caught the first bluegill, I switched to a Sheeps Creek Special. I landed seven more gills with that one. After lunch, I decided to fish Roland Lake. While fighting the smallies, they were spitting out small baitfish as well as the ocassional crawdad.

As I arrived at the eastern side of Roland Lake, I noticed some large waves. The wind was now blowing (yet), so I was not sure what was causing the waves. I soon noticed a boat towing kids around in an inflatable. I would not have guessed that a boat that large was permitted on a such a small lake. I made a u-turn and parked at the lake across the highway from Roland. I loaded my toon and kicked for the opposite side of the lake. I put a sinking line on my 5wt and tied a Polar Fibre Clouser to the end of that. About five casts in, I get a nice strike. I do not know what I have, but it is putting up a nice fight. It turned out to be a 21" pike minnow. I found a clear lane along the bank and made a cast. I got another solid strike. This time I knew I had a decent smallie on. It took me into a weedbed. I thought I may have lost the fish, a few seconds later I managed to pull the bass out of the weeds. She was a pretty 18" beauty. If I had been using my 2wt, that fish would probably have been lost. I fished for a couple of more hours. I caught a mix of LMB and SMB. All of them were pretty small (6" - 8"). I did manage to catch a few using my 2wt and a small popper. I would use it when I could see the bass cruising. They wasted no time attacking the popper. The wind started to pick up. Since I had run out of water, I decided to head back to the truck. Did I mention it was hot out there? I went through a lot of water that day. The water temp was 74 degrees at the second lake. I am sure that there are some nice sized LMB in that lake. I just did not find them. I hope to head back out there in the near future. The main thing stopping me is the wind.

One other note; I fished Little Ashes Lake Saturday evening. I managed to catch 2 smallies, but it was a struggle. The lake is starting to get very weedy. Most of the places I fish on that water in past trips is unfishable right now. I also got into a lot of small pike minnows using a dark leech.

I may try to post some pictures in a day or two.

See you on the water

Shawn

2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Thanks for the report. I'm going to have to drive somewhere where I can get into some perch and panfish action. Thats different fishin' for different species than I do here, but I often get frustrated by too much wind on the estuary when all the other considerations (tide, sky cover, etc) line up right.

3. Jay Burman

Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Media:
    Nice report! You're doing a lot better than me. I'd like to see what the simiseal leeches look like. What color is working.

4. Shawn West

Shawn West Active Member

Media:
    Jay

I tied a few up Simiseals for you the other day. I just need to get them in the mail for you. I will mail them out Monday morning. They do not seem to be very picky about color. I use a lot of black, brown, rusty orange, and wine.

Went out this Saturday. I took a guy that had never caught a bass on a fly. He landed a small one right off the bat. He was doomed after that. You know how that goes. He lost an additional three fish. I ended up catching six smallies and three perch. The water was as high as I have seen it this year. I believe the wind pushed the bass much deeper than normal. The bass I did catch hit hard and fought hard. I caught the larger fish using a new fly to me. I used a Sannons Fly. It is an extended body bait fish pattern. The action on this fly is incredible. You can see how to tie this by doing a Google search.

Shawn

5. Jay Burman

Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Media:
    You rock Bugtyer!