A Flyfishing Forum?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by PT, Jan 3, 2007.

1. PT

PT Physhicist

"In light of recent discussions I'm going to start displaying a few straight forward rules. They will be added on to as needed.

Non Fishing Related posts are accepted on the main board. I'd appreciate it being realized that this is a fly fishing forum, so NFR threads / posts should be the exception." AS POSTED BY CHRIS S.

Taken from the Forum Rules Chris posted above. I'm not going to play pretend moderator on this site but some of the crap on this board is getting a bit ridiculous. Skim the topics on the first two pages. NFR certainly isn't the exception.

I do know that all I have to do is not click on the topic and for the most part that is what I do. But, I just thought I'd dig something up from the Rules Chris posted and let you know that one board member is becoming increasingly disinterested with much of the content here.

The old "well, the weather's been crappy so people are just getting a bit uptight" excuse has been used enough this year. Flame away.

Tight lines y'all.:thumb:

2. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Media:
    A fly fishing forum dedicated to mainly fly fishing - what a novel idea ;)

Regards,

3. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Hey yeah! Great idea! I certainly can't get enough of:

1. Where can I fish for (fill in the blank)______________ (available in books and fly shops)

2. What weight line should I use on my 6 weight?(available in books and fly shops)

3. How do you catch fish in the snoqualmie forks?(available in books and fly shops)

4. Did I catch a bull or a dolly? (available in books and fly shops)

5. My first fish

6. Knots (available in books and fly shops)

7. Leaders (available in books and fly shops)

8. Look where I went! (old fly shop joke I've personally been telling behind customers backs since way back when the only "interesting" place to go was new zealand: What's the difference between a fly fisherman who just got back from new zealand and an asshole? $5000... Feel free to update it with patagonia, seychelles, carpenteria... whatever). Oh lighten up!

Bottom line is yes this is a fishing board and all of the examples I provided are valid and sometimes informative and exciting posts to read. I love hearing about someone's first fish, and first of a species. Well, I'm a little tired of first steelhead stories but cmon', once you figure it out they come faster, but bass, carp, SRC, beach salmon, aw heck, even first steelhead can be exciting if the person's really stoked. I've tried to think of the last time I've posted something NFR versus all the fishing related posts I've made that I hope have helped people. I may have but I certainly don't make a habit of it. There's a reason I come here and not other places. Because there are some cool, funny, and entertaining folks here. Not to be arrogant, but other than destination stuff I can't remember when I've read something here I didn't already know. However I can't count the number of times the WAY a question was answered brought a smile to my face. But hey, Old Jim is pretty much gone, I guess we need some folks to fill in on a rotating basis and suck the fun and comraderie out of the room :beer2: Just kidding Jim. Nobody can work an entire pool while sitting on a rock like you can my Man!:thumb:

4. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

In the few years I have been associated with this board I have seen quite an exodus of good writers, humorist, astute observers, funny guys with interesting stories and and just generally good guys that don't take the conformist point of view on every issue. We feel their loss and are poorer for it.

Once the fun police with their stiff backed red necked fundamentalist ways manage to kill off any semblance of camraderie and mirth there will be little reason to visit here, much less to contribute. NFR post are not near as destructive to the board as anti-NFR post are since the anti guys bring an element of gloom and disapproval that is not constructive at all. No one on this board from Chris on down to the newest member is all fly fishing all the time. Spare us from anyone that one dimensional and boring.

With the holidays recently behind us it is possible that some folks have added a few pounds during the season. Check the scales and see how you fared. Perhaps your current shorts are a little too tight for real comfort!:p

Ive

5. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    iagree In bunchies!

6. roadhog

roadhog professional freight relocator

"In light of recent discussions I'm going to start displaying a few straight forward rules. They will be added on to as needed.

Non Fishing Related posts are accepted on the main board. I'd appreciate it being realized that this is a fly fishing forum, so NFR threads / posts should be the exception." AS POSTED BY CHRIS S.

Taken from the Forum Rules Chris posted above. I'm not going to play pretend moderator on this site but some of the crap on this board is getting a bit ridiculous. Skim the topics on the first two pages. NFR certainly isn't the exception.

I do know that all I have to do is not click on the topic and for the most part that is what I do. But, I just thought I'd dig something up from the Rules Chris posted and let you know that one board member is becoming increasingly disinterested with much of the content here.

The old "well, the weather's been crappy so people are just getting a bit uptight" excuse has been used enough this year. Flame away.

boring!!!!!:thumb: :thumb: roadhog

7. roadhog

roadhog professional freight relocator

ya know the main problem with the first post here, and the topic, is that about 90% of the people on this site are from the wet side. honestly i really dont care about how the fishing is on that side of the mountians. I truelly enjoy the "other" types of posts on this forum!! A special thanx to all who "dont follow the rules" on this forum. the the starter of this thread if you dont want to read about NFR dont open it. isn't it great that we have the freedom NOT to read something. Just my little rant.
    thanx ya all roadhog. (happy to read NFR) :thumb:

8. PT

PT Physhicist

I agree with just about everything you posted here. I too miss some of the good writing from folks that are no longer around the site. Alot of personality has come and gone. Most of that personality and the topics that kept me entertained are gone.

I've been on this site along time and have seen some of the personality sucked right out of it. I haven't had a good laugh in a long time with someone's writings here. But even in the past, whether it was Mr Lawlessness or Sparse or some of the others, there tended to be a tint of fishing color to the musings. Right now it just seems like a bunch of nonsensical drivel. Drivel that I can very easily avoid without altering the personality of the board. Just thought I'd toss this out there and see if any of it sticks.

This is just one person's opinion. And since you inquired, my thong fits just fine.;) Nothing's cramping the boys.:thumb:

9. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

Media:
    I know that I come to this board to meet like-minded people to go fishing with. Like-minded means they don't talk about fly fishing all the time but are fun as hell to hang out, fish, camp, drink, etc. with. I love reading the fishing posts, especially some of the better writing and storytelling; but, I also enjoy reading about other random shit (which I guess often coincides with the storytelling).

10. rudejude

rudejude Banned or Parked

Look, the main problem with this site is that you can't even do what it is designed for, and that is fishing reports, if you do post a fishing report, all you get in return are people, picking you apart and saying how you just ruined a good lake by telling about you had a great time and caught some big fish, oh well right, who in their right mind would go to a fishing website and actually post something about fish.:confused: It;s a joke son, I like that one:D

11. Josh Seaton

Josh Seaton New Member

The most entertaining post I've read on this site was entitled " Meth Whore Moved out" that is certainly not totally fishing related but was funny as hell.

12. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

Media:
    Perhaps 90% of Westsiders NEED TO GO BACK TO CALIFORNIA(I'm making fun of you)!!! Seriously, people over here don't have a problem with Eastern Washington. I love it over there. But the Westside has 25 of the 30 largest cities in Washington, it has saltwater (so it's 100% more likely to dominate the "in the salt" forum), lots more rivers, and is generally just a diverse place. It makes complete sense why Western Washington would be more heavily fished, and more talked-about...so get over your almost-Idaho self!!!

13. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    PT, what is it that you think is missing here? Once you figure that out, do what you can to fill in, not piss and moan.

BTW, let's stay the course here, let's not drift off to East VS West or some other silly stuff...:clown:

14. Bestbuilder

Bestbuilder Member

Home Page:
    Sounds like a lot of you are wearing your thongs backwards. I guess why you are so upset with PT's post is the backwards thong still fits. If the guys got a point about NFR, he has a point and no amount of picking at your backwards thong wedgy is going to change it. I think less is more.
    Happy fishing,
    Tad

15. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Albums:
    I tend to pick and choose the threads that I follow and I generally prefer the fly fishing ones (duh). A concern of mine that would tend to support PT's point (while not really wanting to take sides on NFR posts, thanks) is that the threads become dormant once they move off the first page. Once in a blue moon someone resurrects a post that has disappeared. We all like how lively and active this forum is and that means that threads disappear pretty quickly. I'd much rather see some of the more thoughtful fly-fishing related threads develop a bit more fully (and this sometimes takes time), rather than be bumped by a bunch of NFR posts.

16. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

Media:
    OK so I'm gonna skip the controversy on this one and go straight to the humor (yeah what else is new)...Best, that's actually pretty funny if you consider that a backwards thong wedgy is only possible on females! :D

Takes me a while but eventually I get it..

17. PT

PT Physhicist

Roper, I'm a Washingtonian. Lived here all my life and like everything this area has to offer.

I'm not saying anything is missing here, it's sometimes the content and the repetitiveness that gets old. My semi-rant shouldn't have been directed straight at the NFR topic it's a bit more broad. People can't post a report without getting slammed. Most topics can't stay on point without people communicating via binary code which they think is cute.

A few years ago we had a group of folks that liked to get together from time to time and they called themselves Team Rugged. Well, that was some pretty interesting reading. Their outings were open to all but only a few would show up. I would have fit in quite well with that group but had other priorities at the time. The more they talked fishing the more they got slammed because people thought they were too exclusionary. So, they got tired of the internet pissing game and quit posting. There went some fun reading, which was mostly posting reports about their fishing expeditions.

Not slamming anyone here but what the heck does this have to do with anything?
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=36808

Flyfishing is my passion in life. But the past few years I've gone back to calling myself just a fisherman. Gear fisherman can tolerate those that fish plugs, fish floats, toss hardware, sidedrift, etc. But as this forum has evolved we can't talk fishing anymore because no matter what a person does they get ripped for it. A year or two ago Zen posted about a 20 fish day while nymphing for steelhead. He was ripped for it because of his lack of understanding for the conservation of our fisheries. He should have swung all day and only caught a couple fish. That is what a true sportsman would have done. What a joke!

So, all that's left is to post SFR and NFR threads.

Winter is here. Spring is coming. People will be fishing and some will be catching their first. I've rambled enough. Tight lines.:thumb:

18. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    There are 30 cities in Washington!?!?!?

19. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    I for one will take the good with the bad. The odd NFR post will not deter me from enjoying this forum - I after all do have the option of opening it.

For those of us in the newbie class (at least speaking for myself) I enjoy the banter and especially the knowledge transfer that people opening share here.

Stew

20. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I've tried to be polite, but can't see why my post is being picked on. You got a secret fetish for leaf blowers? Love the Kelly Blue Book? Into College Football? Why not jump on them? Or is it that I hurt your delicate feelings here somehow? http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=36379 Since my post is the only one you posted on, and the only one mentioned here, I have to wonder.

Oh, and to answer your question. It has dick to with fishing. HENCE THE FREAKIN' NFR TAG! DUH!