A Flyfishing Forum?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by PT, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    Davy/Chad, Amen brothers !!!!:beer2:

2. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Okay, I had one other thing to say. It's about picture's. See, we have all seen steelhead pictures, trout pictures of all species, salmon pictures,bass pictures, crappie pictures and carp pictures .ETC

We have also all seen First Fish pictures. This too, is a common species that we have all seen over and over again. They all look the same. I mean they are first fish, duh! Often silver or golden in color, usually around 12" long unless of salt origin ,then perhaps 14" is more the norm

I think that , hmmmmm,,, pictures should be limited to ; this my 876th steelhead, 2035th salmon and 111,415th trout. These numbers are open for adjustment and debate but I think this will stop all the boring posts about boredom.

3. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    The NFR concept is only in place so that we can prune old threads from the databse that are not fishing related, as the site grows so does the history of all the posts, this uses up a lot of resources and slows things down.

To me this site is a community where we all have something in common that we love, and are interested in, fly fishing. In my mind, it's ok to deviate from that so long as we don't forget what keeps us all here.

4. PT

PT Physhicist

I'll search thru my pics from a couple years ago to see if I can find that one.:thumb:

5. rudejude

rudejude Banned or Parked

Well when I first got on this site I saw the tab that said discussion forum, so I thought that it was all topics, then I read the forum rules and it says, to please don't put much in unless it is a fishing report, now I said before that I think it should be for fishing reports only, but you can't blame the new people that think it is for discussing whatever, before they read the rules. I think that the name of the forum should be called fishing forum or flyfishing forum, instead of the discussion forum, to save on confussion, but what do I know I am new also:rofl:

6. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Just a thought - Shouldn't this thread be labeled "NFR"?

As for me, I have learned my lesson. After this post, I am a reader, not a writer....

7. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    You can tell the time of year by the threads/posts on this board. The January bitch fest train just arrived! Everyboby get on board! TOOT TOOT!

8. Dan

Dan Member

Well said. Personally, I like this place just the way it is.

9. otter

otter Banned or Parked

Non Fishing Related?

Just one example. When I lived in Portland (Oregon) in the eighties, and was doing a bunch of fishing, I ran into this "old" guy (I was young and bulletproof then) on the Sandy River, fishing. He'd been fishing and missed his bus. The story was a lot more complicated than that. He was a retired millwright, all family gone, small pension, lived in Portland, and had figured out the entire Portland/Multnomah County/Oregon bus system. So he could fish. He would get as far as he could on the bus and then hitchhike.

Well, that day, nobody would pick him up on the Sandy, so he missed his bus. I was headed back to Portland, and saw him by the road. You know the rest of the story.

My point is, fishing is a way of life. Anybody here that really looks at it will realize how we shape our lives and times in order to fish. This includes bus passes, awareness of environmental issues, road conditions, river levels, meth whores and other domestic turbulence, raging arguments about "the way of fishing", and so on and so forth.

So what, really, can be considered NFR?

One of my favorite quotes is, "If you happen to meet Buddha on the road, kill the son of a bitch, because he's an imposter".

I would tend to apply that principle to those individuals who would try to convince you that any particular subject is NFR.

You might as well say that NFR is NLR - "non life related" - and admit that you don't have a life.

I can get "reports" from about ninety seven different agencies.

This forum is about discussion, dialog, opinion. Bullshitting about flyfishing, ferchrissakes.

So I say there's no such thing as NFR.

One way or another, it all ties together................

otter

10. Otter I agree with you.
    F.
    I can tell you the only thing that bothers me is the sometimes when people yell at the others for something they feel is wrong. It can be handled better.

I also find Budda to be a non fisherman;
    No waders
    No Pants or shirt
    No rod and reel
    No flies
    Not even a little tippet.
    :confused:

11. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

Wasn't this brought up a while back? I seem to recall a discussion about opening another forum for NFR and there was a reason why it never came to pass.

I'll just say that this is the only forum, of the nine that I attend (Flyfishing, timber/chainsaw, and body building) that doesn't have an off the topic forum. I'm not on a side, but it's a good point about fishing topics getting pushed off the first page and disappearing. An OTT may not be a bad idea. I think this forum is large enough, but not too large to handle an OTT forum, and it'd serve to organize the discussion. If someone wants to talk about Kelley Blue Book prices, or the UFC fight or whatever, that's fine. But it'd clean up the Fly Fishing forum to have that stuff elsewhere. This is a flyfishing website that doesn't have a dedicated flyfishing forum anymore, but seems to have a "general discussion" forum. And if that's the way it's going to be, that's fine, I'll still come here every day and wade through it all. But I also seem to remember Chris asking to keep the NFR and SFR to a minimum....and it's not. It's half. It's up to him.

Jeff

Edit: Acutally tonight though, it seems mostly FR!

12. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    What is this fly fishing you speak of and where did it come from?

13. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    I agreed with this post, and why? pretty much, scratch that, all of it, in one way or another my life is fishing. Yes, even at times NOT flyfishing. Anyway, if I made of a post of a bird I was looking at out our bay window it would still be fishing related because we all know what I was thinking about that bird. And if I posted about my arm breaking , or cutting finger off , or a host of other things-- it would still be fishing related, at least to some on the board, maybe not you personally, but some.

And yes, CWUgirl is right too, as some of this is even officially tracked somewhat--this the crap fishin time of the year and everyone starts bitchin. Actually, WA has had it good, rivers have gonzo had it here this year. Just when you start packin, hitch the trailer and get. halfway to the coast the rivers go back out here . YOYOYOYOYO. Ah, but close we are to some good days ahead for sure. I and the boat will even be back up there with you all in a few weeks. I know, jeeez? Lock the doors and hide the kids , right? Or atleast lock the liquor cabinet.

Without those that know whom they are............... anyway, this place rocks, let's quit fightin. Don't know of any other "virtual" place that has heart like this place. And I mean it.

14. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Zen-- flyfishing for steelhead is accomplished by casting across from you or 3/4 or so down and letting the fly swing around below you, this is what I was told. But then look at your pics , this must be how you do it.:rofl: :beer1: :rofl: :clown:

15. Zen Piscator

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'm having trouble casting my side planner and bait diver on the single handed setup. If I switched to a 550 grain skagit body and 15ft scandi style two hander, will it handle the side drifting better? Wiggle warts sounds wierd when you cast them with a fly rod.

16. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Well yes, yes it will, but if you trim the corners off the plastic side planer with a hot knife it makes it more areodynamic and cast's better with that 7 or 8 single.Also,, Take the rattle out of the Wiggle Warts simply by drilling a hole in them on your drill press and taking the ball out and refilling with explosive gelatin and resealing with wax.This makes for higher fish counts as long as you remember to have your fishing partner string the net across and down from you in the river, and,,,,,, now this this is critical Zen, BEFORE you make the cast.

17. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

I have to respectfully disagree with the notion of everything being fly fishing related, and that it all fits under the fishing umbrella. How would KBB and the Boise State game be FR? (And they were labled SFR and NFR.) My life is fishing and hunting as well, but I'm not going to post here about wether or not I should use synthetic oil in my truck so as to allow me to drive further between oil changes, allowing me more time on the water. That's a huge stretch, but it'd fit perfectly in an OTT forum. NFR is NFR IMO.

Jeff

18. Zen Piscator

Media:
    Home Page:
    I guess I underestimated your skill level. Impressive :rofl:

19. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

Media:
    See, I dig the banter that was created by this (often off topic) bickering (see Davy and Zen). I do see the relevance of the Boise State game and other NFR topics: they are topics that many fisher-people care about. Fisher-people are a down ass group of people that generally have fun, well-rounded lives and this forum should reflect that--the catching of fish (or how they catch fish) is not what makes these forums enjoyable, though it is a key part of it.

20. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

I agree they're relevant, but I don't see them as FR. I care about the Notre Dame game (there's always next year) but I can't make the arguement it's FR, so I didn't post anything about it in the "Fly Fishing Forum." :)

Jeff