A Flyfishing Forum?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by PT, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Zen got me actually thinking today, not something I try to do much of,,but anyway,,,so I went out back in the pond that was my yard and tried a #35 Hot Shot on the TFO Skagit and it seems to have more of a pleasing and soothing whizzing sound than the wiggle wart rattle, perhaps, as an angler named "Zen" this might be beneficial to try.

2. Jim Jones

Jim Jones flytosser

Media:
    So if you drilled a hole in a Wiggle Wart and filled it with hot lead - you could cast it a mile, would redefine "chuck and duck", and if you fished it under an indicator you could piss off all the "purists" by nymphing for steelhead.

Now that's flyfishing! :rofl:

Jim Jones

3. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    iagree :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The Zen thwack in action! :beer2: You are the Master, Andy!

4. WT

WT Member

NFR - S.A.M.E. - Self Appointed Moderator Edit.

5. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    104...105...106...107...108.........too many posts to weed through Must be something not worth reading

6. PT

PT Physhicist

Those look like carp scales in your avatar? Dough balls or caught on the fly?;)

7. WT

WT Member

dough ball flies.

8. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Nice, I use those for metalheads on the redds.

I wonder if you drilled a hot shot if you could put a scent chamber in it. I think scent is really important in steelhead fishing because we want our fish to take our lures deeply so they become swallowed in the stomach, causing the fish to fight much less, promoting easier landing. Furthermore if proper internal bleading occurs the fish will be pre bled so you can hook it up to your stringer and just let it be.

Honestly though, shouldn't we all be targeting kelts only so we down hurt upstream fishes chances
    [​IMG]
    ya, thats a hen, caught while trout fishing. One of the skankiest fish I've ever seen.

9. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I like it! Just like a Slasher movie. The chicks that have sex get it! :rofl:

10. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    ahhh...the good ol days...gotta say I miss em ;) camping out in negative degree weather, sparse using a wood stack as a pillow while sleeping on the snow, miller using briquets to keep the fire going...miller's brother dancing in a leatard in the middle of winter...Hutch being Hutch, rowdy being rowdy, and whitey, well, umm ya...LOL

Attached Files:

11. otter

otter Banned or Parked

Meet the new technique. In addition to swinging and nymphing, there is blastcasting. Copyright by me.

Given my miserable record of hooking, let alone landing, steelhead, I came home one night wet froze and fishless with one thought in mind, "gotta up the technology". Along with that was the thought "Think out of the box".

I looked around the house..........

Well, I had this old 12 ga. preban Winchester riot gun. And I remembered the whaling guns of yore.

After much experimentation, here's the rig.

That 12 ga. is mounted to a heavy duty super adjustable videocamera tripod. I drilled & tapped the receiver for the normal threaded mount, so I could work the pump action. I tried very hard to develop explosive heads but they just plain ruined the meat, so I ended up with 14" of big-game fiberglass arrowshaft with a very heavy broadhead hooked up to an aircraft aluminum mainshaft (patent pending) to properly fit the bore of the gun. I had a big Tioga reel which I epoxied and hoseclamped to the muzzle of the shotgun, loaded with 50# braided dacron line. This is attached to a swivel just behind the broadhead. Finally, because my eyes are bad, I had the gun set up for this old 4x widefield scope I had.

For ammunition, you don't need much. I just use low brass trapshooting loads with the lead emptied out.

Well. I can tell you, this rig fits well on the bow of just about any driftboat and is incredibly effective on those big native runs, as well as salmon of any species.

The smell of nitrocellulose gunpowder at oh dark thirty on the river is a rush far greater than caffeine or alcohol, and beats the shit out of those endless weary hours of casting.

A final plus. No flyboxes!

otter

12. fatwhitedog

fatwhitedog New Member

Media:
    **stiff backed red necked fundamentalist** (flyfisher types)

Back “in the day” that’s all that seemed to populate this board… guess it depends on the perspective… plus plus ils restent les mêmes

13. otter

otter Banned or Parked

I disagree with what, and whom, you think populates this board.

Your quote, I believe, is a compression of "plus de choses changent, plus qu'ils restent les memes".

Popularly translated as " the more things change, the more they stay the same".

We are all struggling with the effects of environmental degradation and intense population pressure on fishing. It don't come easy, anymore.

The old days are gone - there is no, make that zero, possibility of "things staying the same".

A lot of what this board is about is figuring out how to deal with the new.

That old chestnut you just quoted doesn't shine anymore............

otter

14. djzaro

djzaro New Member

Wow otter, that was impresive! I don't think he saw that one coming. :thumb:

15. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    Well, the weather's been crappy so people are just getting a bit uptight.

16. rudejude

rudejude Banned or Parked

("Rabble,Rabble,Rabble,Rabble,Rabble")- south park:thumb: :clown: :thumb: :rolleyes: :eek:

17. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

Media:
    This forum is beatiful just the way it is.