A GreenButt Dee

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Davy, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    I call it a Reaper due to the white/black hackling on the collar.

Hook:partridge CS10 Bartleet 2/0

Ribbing : Medium Oval Silver Laguartun
    Body;
    Rear 1/4 Chartreuse Floss
    Middle 1/4 Hareline Chartreuse ICE dubbing
    Front 1/2 Black seal
    Body hackle; from the black;black Schlappen,sparse
    Front collar; White cock neck hackle over burnt black marabou
    Dee wings; Snow Goose Wing

Attached Files:

2. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    Davy what is burnt black marabeau I have heard of it?
    Nice fly good body combination.
    jesse clark

3. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Jesse-just like , burnt goose,turkey,etc.--marabou real briefly dipped in bleach and rinsed under water to release the fibers somewhat--with marabou you gotta be real careful and even then you may not salvage every one.

4. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    Davy:
    Does that remove some of the webbing of the marabeau? Make it more open like hackle? What is the benefit and what kind of flies do you do this on? Is it just a spey thing?
    I know lots of questions but you probably got the answers. :ray1: While I am in the questioning mode here what is chickabou? How does it differ from marabeau. I have seen it in some nymph patterns I have been looking at..
    Thanks jesse clark

5. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Exactly, it removes the tiny (fuzziness)from the shaft of each barbule.Allows each barbule to flow more independantly.Yes,primarily a spey thing though it could be used on any streamer application calling for this type of hackling.

Marabou come from a turkey-- guess where Chickabou comes from? yeap- a chicken!!!

Whiting Hackle Farms promotes it (even copyrighted the term) I give you their description here:
    The marabou like feathers are what we named here at Whiting Farms ChickabouÒ. They are much finer

and more delicate than traditional turkey marabou, which tends to be too large and course for many flies.

And because it’s from a chicken numerous patterns and markings are available to enhance its effectiveness,

particularly grizzly and grizzly dyed olives, brown and bright colors. The color patterns of the black laced

white patterns, which are unique to Whiting Farms, provide an unusual color marking of white tips and black

bases to the ChickabouÒ. When dyed this black laced white offers an enticing splash of color at the fiber tips

to create interest and uniqueness to any fly. ChickabouÒ is therefore often superior in action and application

to turkey marabou.

ChickabouÒ can be used in two basic ways. When tied at the rear of the fly ChickabouÒ provides an

exceptionally alive appearing tail for damsel patterns, dragonflies and smaller woolly buggers. When tied onto

the body of the fly, either sparsely or generously, an incredibly alive breathing and undulating motion of the

ChickabouÒ occurs in even the slightest water movement. An example of a generous application of

ChickabouÒ would be leech patterns or full bodied marabou flies for bass and pan fish. Sparse application

examples would be throats on nymphs, pectral fins on sculpin flies, and anything requiring some aliveness to

the fly. Nothing is buggier than Whiting Farms ChickabouÒ

Davy

6. Dave Westburg

Dave Westburg Member

Media:
    Great looking fly Davy. Would also look nice with dyed black goose shoulder wings or dyed black turkey wings.

7. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    Heh there Davy, about how long do you want to dip the marabou in the bleach? I haven't tried this yet but have been wanting to. I figured this could also be a way for me to alter the colors I have slightly.

Thanks

8. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Scott- LOL. thats the trick- seems like around 5 seconds,sometimes twice then immediatly to cold running water.some times its too much and melts the whole feather-but when you get it right-and the right feather ,you are left with just the web stem--no barbs.VERY very nice stuff.But purples and blacks tend to bleed real bad and-thats the other trick or rub.not all do and thats what I tye with.I have no magic cure or system "yet"

9. Sinktip

Sinktip Monty

Media:
    Davy, Thanks for the tricks of the trade on bleaching and a very in depth reply to jesse's questions. I will be playing around the sink with bleach and marabou tomorrow for sure. The more I read around here the more I learn. :thumb: :thumb:
    Monty

10. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Here is another thing you might want to be aware of. Many if not most common bleaches contain a certain amount of chlorine. When chlorine comes in contact with the fluid in your lungs it turns into hydrochloric acid. You can imagine what happens next. The best thing that you can do is wear a respirator with cartridges rated for acid vapor in a well-ventilated space. Many people will perceive this as overkill; others consider it a necessary precaution. Be your own judge but be aware of the possibilities.
    TC

11. gurneyhalleck

gurneyhalleck long time listener

is that straight bleach?
    1:1 dilution?

thanks

willy

12. Jeremy Husby

Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have found my favorite color to burn is Wine Marabou . . .

1:1 might be to fast at first for you, I would dilute with just a little water. Find what works to how fast you can work with the bleach. Using straight bleach continues to burn even while rinsing, so the timing is very important, once it starts to burn I pull. I did this about three years ago to around six bags of marabou and I have never ran out, and I hope I don't because it's not very nice thing to do and I hate bleach.

13. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Jeremy is correct, just accept the fact though that you won't salvage every feather,some will disolve on you and BE CAREFUL with the fumes.It is a quick quick quick process--dip-rinse-dip- rinse--stroke the feather thru your thumb and forefinger as you rince it under the tap.