NFR A Guardian Teacher Law

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Brad Soliday, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How about this, since you and I are clearly NOT in the same conversation...but you didn't miss my point. I'll tell you what I want and you can whip up some of your "already have the multilayered approach" and "other things put into place".

I want every school to have the ability to restrict access to an armed assailant who has no God Damned reason for being there. I want every young child to have the opportunity to go home every day NOT being shot. Lets start with that. I'll tell you what I want after that is fixed.

We really cannot possibly be having the same conversation, reading the same report, watching the same video feeds and intererested in the same end result. You are so confident that "we've already got that".

Time for me to step away from the keyboard. We can do a whole heck of a lot better than what we've got.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  2. On the other hand, there are tens of thousands of schools that have employed unarmed teachers to teach kids, and they also have had "none of the feared negative consequences."

3. What about hiring returning soldiers from the middle east wars to be armed guards? Cost and tax rise issues aside, this might help solve the unemployment crisis among returning service members from our last decade of wars. Obviously, we'd need to be assured that any veteran picked to fill such an important role is physically and mentally fit for that job, but I wonder what you all think of that.

4. Why did you move there if you aren't fond of tourist ???

5. To?

6. Do not arm teachers with guns.
    I teach - 27 years - repeat first 5 words.

7. I think like o mykiss, Lugan, and Steve I am skeptical about the Guardian Teacher concept instead of using full-time LEOs. I am concerned that without a defined mission, a serious ongoing tactical engagement training regimen to provide a professional educator a first responder Site Security rating as an amendment to their state teaching credentials; something akin to a Sniper, Ranger, or Combat Engineer tab, and onsite backup; at least two on staff and onsite at each school, that the program at best would be ineffective, and possibly tragically counter productive.

Regarding site hardening...... I used to have to go onsite to support the medical records computer system on McNeil. It used to rattle me every time I went through each security perimeter access point. And imagine something like routinely validating and passing each child individually through a security perimeter access point in the morning with no tailgating allowed, plus routine checks for school employees, parents for things like IEP conferences, and vendors. Glad I don't have any kids in, or work at a school.

8. Or a bunch of inactive fly fishermen who aren't fishing

9. Why not hire veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan wars to be guards? Like I said above, we'd need to ensure they are physically and mentally capable, but at first glance, that seems like a way to both have people qualified and trained to handle firearms and assailants, and would help solve the current high unemployment rate of veterans. And giving them a new "mission" as important as protecting our kids might go a long way toward helping them feel good about their continued contribution to our country. How is this not a win-win?

10. How do you stop a shooter that arrives at your schools front door?????

11. To avoid an armed TSA, School Security Professionals who pass a stringent psych exam and meet other specific qualifications necessary to interact with children deserve to be paid commensurately with the importance placed on the children they are protecting.

Ed Call likes this.
  12. Sure as hell not for the tourists! But it's a fair question: I don't live in Leavenworth, but up in the forest north of town. We moved here for the incredible scenery, the Nordic skiing, and the fact that Chelan county is solidly conservative. Plus, I can sit on the breezeway on the north side of my house and shoot grouse, quail, deer, bear, cougar, coyote, turkeys, and possibly, elk: all without leaving the comfort of the recliner:cool:

fifafu likes this.
  13. I am currently an elementary teacher (16 yrs)(5th grade). Prior to this I was 8 yrs active duty Army, in during the first Gulf War, both enlisted and officer. Well-trained, been handling all kinds of guns my whole life. At one time I had a CW permit, but I let it lapse.

My small town, Moses Lake, WA, had a school shooting about 15 yrs ago. The shooter used a lever action deer rifle, if I remember correctly. I personally know kids that were in that classroom, and the hero principal that took the kid down. I wasn't in that building, thank God.

Schools need to have a way to respond quickly. A wackjob with a semi-auto could kill a whole lot of people in the 2-3 minutes it takes for police to arrive. Whether it is an armed teacher, or an on-site police officer, something needs to be done.

I fall on the side of an armed officer in the building. I'm a teacher, not a cop. I would feel paranoid as hell carrying a weapon around kids all day - and I'm about as qualified a person as you will find.

Robert Engleheart likes this.
  14. a round through the headlights is quite sufficient. Usually 165 grains of frangible projectile at 1400fps; that's the ticket, although with the 95grainers, I might be tempted into a followup shot.

15. Late to the discussion but can't support the Guardian Teacher idea. They already have enough on their plate; underpaid, overworked and expected to be everything the absent or apathetic parents are not. Now you want to arm them, give them the responsibility of life/death. Gonna pay them peace officer salary & benefits? Doubt there'll be too many takers. I like the idea of more officers on campus and stricter security, but given budget issues it's doubtful that this is a realistic option. I have no answer, just don't believe the GT idea will fly.

16. Kill it

17. I'm against it. I've been teaching since 1981 and just think carrying around my students is wrong. After working in three states and a lot of different schools, Edmonds, South Whidbey, Shoreline CC, Columbia Falls, MT and Baker, OR, I think most of our problems occur when too many people live together and we loose the feeling of being connected to each other. Here in Baker, my principal knows all 500 kids at our high school, their parents know who they are hanging out with and I knew if my own kids did something wrong we would hear it if they didn't tell us first. Almost all of the people (10,000 in town, 15,000 in the county) have lots of connections with other folks and most of the kids at school have a close connection with at least one adult at the school. Now that doesn't mean we would be totally immune to senseless violence, but I think it has to help. If you break down here the next car along stops to help and most people always have time for a conversation. If you want to help this problem I think a better mental health care system would be the first solution....but we need to look at what is causing those problems in the first place.

19. I agree with the first post, if the school principal/a teacher was armed, it would of been a non issue after the first shot through the window. Look at what the problem solve was after 9/11... armed agents on planes, why should this approach be any different?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.