NFR A Guardian Teacher Law

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Brad Soliday, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Okay. Works for me. Personally, I'd gain much more if the money sent to others countries was used here. Someone is making big bucks from our taxes going to foreign countries or it wouldn't happen, but it sure isn't me.

2. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Totally agree on not funding people who hate us and/or waste our money. Add Afghanistan to that list. But our foreign aid budget is tiny compared with what it would take to station a cop at every school in the US. I don't know the exact numbers, but it's not even close. Gonna have to get it from defense and entitlement cuts.

Kent Lufkin and Alex MacDonald like this.
  3. Robert Easterday

Robert Easterday Member

At $80,000 (minimum) per school for one armed guard without training, that would come to, let's see, 80 billion dollars...per year. Hmmm.

PS. Oregon has been laying off public school teachers every year since I started teaching in 1990. We're fighting over the last piece of chalk as I write this.

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Yup, I looked it up. The amount spent on foreign aid wouldn't come close to covering the cost of placing armed security at all the public schools. So much for that idea.

5. fifafu

fifafu Guest

It's time for a penny a gallon gas tax then. Pays for it easy.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    So the bill is only part paid, but we've started. Well balance the damn budget while we're at it. Safety of our kids first.

fifafu likes this.
  7. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Not quite, Salmo; BA in history, Ma in Educational Administration with a specialty in organizational theory, and a PhD in history. I taught, worked as a Senior Admissions Officer for Undergraduate Admissions, and was head coach for the UCD nordic ski team from `85-90, (delivering five league championships, I might add). I've served on committees too numerous to count in that time, from application review committees to the University employee scholarship committee, which I chaired. I've put together outreach programs targeting both high school students and transfer students, liased with the College of Engineering on their application review group as well as overall undergraduate applicant reviews. Like I said, not once, in all that time, did I find a suit who didn't believe he could pick up a turd by the clean end.

A case in point: one of the assistant directors of Undergraduate Admissions dreamed up-and sold to other suits-a program to increase visibility of UC in underperforming high schools. The idea was to put faculty in the high school campuses to work with low-income and underperforming students, advising them about the possibility of earning a UC degree. I was one of the recruiters. It was sold to the faculty as a way of showing students that we weren't aloof, that we were approachable, and the work we did was interesting. It was a good proposal intended to get the students to sort of "hang out" with us, increase the presence of UC overall, and get more of them motivated to pursue higher learning. The length of time the suits decided was sufficient to meet these goals? Two fucking hours A YEAR!! I told our director this was a waste of resources given the time constraints, but to no avail. Within that school year, every faculty member left the program with the same complaint. It was a joke! There's literally thousands of incidents like that I could relate, but I'm sure you get the idea. I'm not saying they're stupid-far from it. However, if you want an administrator, hire somebody who has some training in "administering", not a PhD in crop science; at least then he'd have a basic grasp of things!

Usually the guys who preferred to teach and research, and were good at it, wanted to stay in the lab or classroom; the bad ones usually tried to get into the admin end of things. So no, I don't consider myself a narcissist, I just called it like I saw it.

8. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Ya, oil companies, defense contractors and weapons manufacturers.

9. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    Thanks, Chris; don't know if the ratings would go up or down on this, but it can't be worse than watching reruns of American Idol, eh?:eek: Personally I'd like to see `em compete in something like Takeshi's Castle!

10. Alex MacDonald

Media:

11. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    $80K is a bit on the high end for most schools. That may be the average though for the first year and will be halved after the hardware is installed. Right now the top 10 foreign leeches take between 14 - 20 billion in aid. That doesn't count what is paid directly to the big consulting companies. That data isn't published. But it is estimated to be around another 14 - 20 billion. That's more than enough to cover elementary schools in areas that can't fund themselvs.

12. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.