A idea for string leeches. . .

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jeremy Husby, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I thought that this could work, it crosses string leechs with tube flies. I furled a hook fo a string leech then doubled the furled part back back and nailknotted the loop (one drop of glue). Then its just a matter of tying the leeches on 1/2"-3/4" tubes. If wanted one could just use one furled section beacuse a hook could be changed and the fly. The pics will make sense of my nonsense. The second pic it just a invert of the first, gives a little better clarity.

Attached Files:

2. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    Well if you took your section with the hook attached and just tied your feathers,Maribou,or tinsle at the loop you would have a real string leech. That is the way some are tied.

Just a little more info.

Jim
  3. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    Yeah, I have been tying them like that for years OM, this was just a thought to improve them, letting one the ability to change hooks, (because of many reason) or length of line (if getting short strikes), or maybe slip the tube over tandem setup. With some patterns much can be time invested and when a hook breaks or a rock bends the tip, it become much easier to change the hook instead of changing the fly. But of course I tie them for others and don't use them myself, so I did not know if this setup would help anyone. Thanx though OM for your senile comments :) (JK)
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    Senile Comments. What is this, a stab at an old man. Boy now I feel offended and you can't even spell my name out. Now I'm down to initals like the Sea Run Cutts. We are both in out prime time and don't get any respect. bawling:

Well from now on you are DH.......And everybody knows what that stands for. :p

Jim :rofl: :rofl:
  5. pwoens Active Member

Spokane, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    bwaaaahaaaaahaaa :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ahahahahahaha..... Jim got a funny in .... hahahahaha

DH....dig the fly :thumb:
  6. mike doughty Honorary Member

the uinta's
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Ouch :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  7. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +695 / 5
    This is what I love about the net, you get some great ideas you'd never had thought of. I tie up a bunch of string leeches (I'm a bunny leech fanatic, lol). I like this idea. Similar to the "extended body" tube fly. One where you can extend the body longer, or shorter, by adding/deleting sections. I do like this one. Plus, will have a use for some of the small leftover tube sections I have (have a few that I collect figuring what to do with them).

Great idea. :thumb:
  8. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    Also to address the question why I would tie on a tube rather then the string it's self, It's easier to tie on a tube. Really thats the main reason I started to this. The other benefits just fell into place. Thanx for all the great comments.

(edit) I used a big tube OD .125" ID .07? of Teflon tubing I order 100' from American plastics for $2.00. For tube flies I suggest using a medical labs tippets. they can be bought by length and size and hav different tapers, In Norway Tubes are the way to fish and this is what they are using you can slip metal of choice over the tippet for wieght. I will post more on later have to run.
  9. Surf_Candy Member

Bainbridge Island, WA.
    Sweet idea! Is the strip portion tied on a separate tube than the "hackle" portion? Was thinking this would be a great way to create any color of leech while stream side.

In the picture, how do you keep the whole leech from bunching into a ball as the tube slides down to the hook?

Surf
  10. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Hey double hauler. The new "hot" setup for long winged tubes is to run your tippet through the tube, tie on your hook, then nail knot some shockgum on the tippet between your tube and your hook. You can then adjust the distance your hook rides behind the tube by sliding the shockgum up or down your tippet. pretty cool. Should be all the rage this winter :p
  11. Big K1 Large Member

Duvall, WA, U.S.A.
    Philster,

Shhhhhhhhhh! Don't let the secret out. ;)
  12. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    The tube does not go past the nail knot on the loop of the furled hook, it is tight enough that it does not travel up either.

(edit) yeah I have used Bobber Stops for that before. I mosty carry about 2' of tygon tubbing with me to change how far back the hook rides. but I have taken thread befrore from my sweeter and tied a nail not to keep hook in place before. I carry a tube with nail knot (bobber stop) ever where they come in handy in so many ways.
  13. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    :rofl:
  14. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +710 / 0
    Phil..."SSShhh"....

Too late! :cool: