A labs first couple days out

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Jmills81, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    Well let us hope that my pup's first couple of days out Pheasant hunting are a precursor to many other productive days in the future

Opening day and I could hardly sleep the night before. Months and months of training, dummies, bumpers, general obedience and the like. My neighbors comment a month ago summed it up..."when does Murphy (my dog) get some real action" Soon, soon enough

Finally the day had come. With mixed reports of spotty hatch success and late hatch birds, my father and I were cautiously optimistic. We headed to our normal haunts down between Sprague and St John were we have hunted for over 20 years

Conditions were nice for a walk, but tough for the dogs. Dry and hot marked the day and senting was tough for the dogs. Accompanying my new pup was my father's experienced, top notch nosed 4 year old lab Dakota. She served as an excellent mentor to Murphy

The first patches of cover we bumped out a fen hens and finally a couple of roosters which my father and I connected on nicely. Throughout the day, we put more ringnecks down for a final tally of 5 roosters and two huns, the later of which my father hit a nice double on

Murphy's first day was great. She was much more controllable that I thought she would be, but still had the look of...."is this what I am supposed to be doing" and "oh, so this is what we have been training for" She made a couple of nice retrieves, bumped up a couple of hens and a rooster. She slept soundly as we made our way home, and I was happy as hell with her opening day

Yesterday we made it out for the second weekend of chasing roosters, and we had an even better day. First two roosters were down by 9 am. We then progressed to a spectacular stretch of cover on a ranch we lucked out to get permission on

Two nice shots by my dad and 2 more by myself and the pheasant hunting for the day was over by Noon. My only complaints about Murphy was that a couple of times hens flew out and she kept on running after them like they were going to fall from the sky at any moment. The highlight of the day was when she nailed a wounded rooster on the dead run and returned her prize to my father. What a great sight to see

I cant wait to see how Murphy progresses. We still have a lot of work to do, but I am excited

Hope everyone else does well this season!!
    Josh:thumb:

Attached Files:

2. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Sounds like a couple great days in the field with your father and the young dog.

It is great watching a young pup developing into a working hunter. I would have to say Murphy seems to be off and running with the potential to give the older dog a run for its money in a couple years.

My yellow female is now 4 and has just gotten better and better each year.

Tight lines
    Curt

3. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Great report- nice looking pup, even if she is the wrong color ; )

4. gator7354

gator7354 Member

That's a great looking pup you have there. Best of luck to both of you.

5. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Josh, that's quite the pup that you have there. Thanks for sharing your good times with him. Oh, and nice stack of feathers too...:thumb:

6. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Good, very good.
    Mans best friend is an under statement. Looks like a partner for life.

7. seekm

seekm chris

Media:
    What a great couple of hunts. I can't think of too many things that I enjoy more than watching a dog work. Especially the pride and excitement of a young pup getting into its first birds.

8. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    There's nothing that compares to the first few times you take your dog out hunting. A trained dog is a thing of beauty to watch, I don't think it would be possible to enjoy hunting with a dog more than during it's first year. Everything is exciting with new milestones reached on almost day hunted.

She's a beauty of a pup- Looks like she's off to a GREAT start!