A Late Christmas Present

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jgoran, Jan 8, 2009.

1. jgoran New Member

Fife, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Christmas 2007 my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I said I'd like a new .22 or a Fly Rod setup. So not realizing what she was doing she bought me a 5/6 TFO NXT outfit and probably has been regretting it since. I've fished the Yakima, Elwha, any river or lake I can stop at, even took the rod on a cruise to Bermuda.

This Christmas I said I would like a new reel that I could get some spare spools for and possibly use for fishing the salt with a 7 wt my dad doesn't use any more. She couldn't decide so I've got a $150 to spend on a 5-7 wt reel.

Any recommendations?
  2. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +422 / 0
    Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor. I hear they're giving away spools when you buy the reel!
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Redington CD 7/8 or 5/6. They are mid arbors and you likely could put a 7wt on the 5/6 if you want a smaller reel and use some gelspun instead of dacron backing. I have several of these and use them on all the rods I have. For your $150 you can find a new one and get at least one spool, maybe even two if you are lucky in your searches. Sierratradingpost.com or ebay or troutlet.com or flyfishusa could possibly turn up the goods at the right price. You also can't beat the lifetime guarantee either. They have a newer version, more ported reel and spools to lighten the load, but more expensive than the CD.

If that is not to your liking, take Itchy Dog's suggestion above and hit up Orvis. I've not read much from posters who hate their battenkills. Most rave about them.
  4. Casey Weed Greenhorn

Bothell, WA
    Lamson Konic, I got one for Christmas at the recommendation of the local fly shop. Haven't caught a fish with it yet but it is a very nice reel for the price.
  5. Pete Bridge Member

Lake Tapps, Wa
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I was at Orvis in Bellevue yesterday and I did see the promo for the free extra spool with purchase of a Battenkill reel, seems like a pretty good deal.
  6. jabseattle jabs

Desert Dweller
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Welcome to the site. I'm sure one of our fly shop sponsors would be able to hook you with some reel options. Go to the home page and look under WFF Sponsors Info.

Though I did just pick up a Redington CD 7/8 from sierratradingpost dot com for $71 (includes shipping). Nice reels. As stated above Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor is a solid reel too especially with the spool deal.
  7. poirierpro Member

Spokane, WA
    Probably the best deal on the market today...it has the same drag system as all its high end siblings.