A late Yakima report & invite

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Wayne Jordan, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Wayne Jordan Active Member

Ratings: +14 / 0
    I fished Tuesday in the section by Red's Fly Shop with trout rising all around me. I caught a half dozen fish on skwala dries and the other dozen or so were caught on parachute adams. The fish were definitely keying in on the mayflies that were hatching from 11:00 until 3:00. I also caught some more fish on nymphs in the morning & late afternoon. It was definitely one of the better days I've had on the Yakima. Another bonus was catching a beautiful cutthroat that came up and slammed my skwala dry!

I'll be heading back over tomorrow for another go around. If anyone wants to join me I'll be leaving Seattle around 8:00, send me a PM and we can meet up to do some fishing! :thumb:
  2. dmoocher Member

Olympia, Wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Were you drifting from Red's or walking the bank? Did you get down river at all?
  3. Wayne Jordan Active Member

Just walking & wading...above Red's.
  4. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA
    So, pardon my naivete, but is Red's down in the canyon? Like, between Ellensburg and Red's down 821?
  5. Jim Jones flytosser

Woodinville, WA
    Yes it is. Red's is at about milepost 15 on 821.
  6. mr trout Trevor Hutton

Yakima, WA, USA.
    Man, You have no idea how tempted you just made me to ditch school and take you up on your offer. But then I realized that I don't have my waders (which need fixing anyway) and they are back in Yakima. Plus, with finals a week away...maybe i should start paying attention in class. - T
  7. LDR New Member

North Bend, WA.
    I made it to the yak yesterday (friday) around 10:00. Started at ringer, nymphed for a couple of hours then moved down into the canyon. Not a lot of action nymphing, I hooked a couple and broke one off. I moved down into the canyon hoping to find a decent hatch of BWO's, but I never found them. Saw a few bugs, and some sporadic risers, but that was enough for me to put on a size 18 parachute bwo trailed by a soft hackle. Hooked close to a dozen fish on the set up, prolly 75% on the soft hackle. Only got 5 to hand, but they were all nice fish, from 14-16 inches. Lost a bigger fish, after a poor job of netting-i figure its probably easier on the fish that way ;) . Anyways, a beatiful day to be out, nothing like 60 degree weather and fish on dries to signify the beginning of spring! :beer2:
  8. Wayne Jordan Active Member

I was there fishing below the footbridge area between 10-3, the fishing got hot around noon and lasted until 2:30 in that area. After that I went up further and found a decent section to fish with Skwalas and it was great fishing until 5:00. All in all a couple dozen fish+ landed. The active fish are definitely in pods so if you don't see much action in one spot MOVE! Once you locate fish it's pretty much a done deal, fish small flies when the sun is on the water, and then use the skwala patterns in the late afternoon.
  9. noway Banned or Parked

Bozeman, MT
    I caught a 20" fish on a skwala. It had a whole in its gill plate. Pretty weird.
  10. Nailknot Active Member

Cascadia
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    noway- sounds like a punched hatchery steelhead.
  11. noway Banned or Parked

Bozeman, MT
    I'll have pictures of it sometime soon. The hole was on its left gillplate and was about the size of a dime. You could see straight to its gills. Once I get the picture I will put it on here.