A Light for Tying...

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by FlyGirl2007, Mar 21, 2008.

1. FlyGirl2007

FlyGirl2007 New Member

Media:
    I'm looking for a lamp to add to my tying station. My eyes are too tired from the dim light! I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'm looking for one that will light from above the hook and is not humungous! I'm also not wanting to spend a fortune on it either (aka under $100).

Thanks!

Flygirl2007 :ray1:

2. FlyGirl2007

FlyGirl2007 New Member

Media:
  3. mozart

mozart Chris

I spent a whopping $10.00 for a light at Big Lots that I feel produces the right amount of light for tying. It's just some cheapie light but it does the trick.

4. idahoakl

idahoakl New Member

Here is the link to a light that I use, it is a little spendy if you don't get it on sale but if you watch you can find it for cheaper, I asked my girlfriend to watch and she found it for about $50 for me.

I love it since it provides more than plenty of light and the colors are bright and vibrant, a lot like tying next to a window with good light coming in.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3247&PRODID=xprd326490

Matt

5. Marty

Marty New Member

Media:
    Home Page:
  6. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

Yeah, I just got a desk lamp at Wal-Mart like ten years ago. There's all the "natural" light, and dedicated fly tying lamps out there, but I like the warmer light of the incandescent light, and it's plenty bright enough to not strain the eyes.

7. Dick Warnke

Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

I second the Ott Lights from Jo-Ann Fabric. Also they are always having sales where everything is 40-50% off. You would be surprised how much stuff they have that relates to our sport, Plano boxes, tying material etc. :thumb:

8. buzzer

buzzer New Member

Go with a lamp that uses full natural spectrum bulbs like the Ott light or the Daylight lamp.Both are excellent products with long lasting bulbs.

9. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

10. FT

FT Active Member

The best tying lamps are those that use daylight florescent bulbs like the OTT (which is what I use), Lumalite, or the one Hareline Dubbing markets through its dealers. Hareline Dubbing's sells for about $80.00 and any fly shop that carries Hareline Dubbing products could get one for you.

The reason the daylight florescent ones are best is because they provide light with a light spectrum that is virtually identical to natural sunlight. If you ever tie with one, you will be amazed at how easy on the eyes they are and how much sharp the detail of the fly becomes. Plus, the colors you see are the colors you will see when on the river.

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Fishdontcare made me buy an Ott. He was, er, is right. I am not disappointed in the light at all. My flies on the other hand...works in progress, but I can see them very well.

12. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Thank you Mumbles. You may rise.

13. UofMontanaAlum

UofMontanaAlum New Member

Office Max sells a true "full spectrum" florescent lamp for $15 (similar to the OTT light that sells for $75-100). I bought one and love it. Looks like this:

[​IMG]

14. Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor Member

check costco...

picked up 2 ott lights for a ridiculously cheap price.

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Hey Grizz, is that a shot of your parlor? Nice lillies, is that a carousel horse? Where is the lace doiley on the table? Just kidding, but I really found the setting of that lamp out of context with either a Grizzly or Fly fisher.

16. bfic

bfic Member

Get 27 watt not the standard 18 watt. Fred Meyer sells an import 27 watt flouresent that claims it's full spectrum for about $30.00 ish and I've seem them on sale for less - best light I've used.

17. Kim Hampton

Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

I've got a good Ott light at home that I really like.
    I'm wondering if anyone is using the Nor-Vise travel light with their Nor-Vise?? Looks like it would be really easy to pack along with the vise on a fishing trip. Just wondering how much the light actually puts out. I almost like tying in the evenings on a fishing trip more than I do at home but I need the light to do it. I've had eyes like a pair binoculars (20/15) to about age 40 or a bit over, now I have to wear the damn reading glasses. Good light really helps. It sucks. I could care less about the bald head and gray hair but not being able to see close up is a pain in the ass.:mad:

18. herl

herl Member