A little Elwha help...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Baseball_Junkie, Aug 23, 2011.

1. So the wife and I want to hike up the Elwha and trout fish next month. Never been, heard about the restoration closure and wanted to hit it once before that fishery changes forever. A guy I met at the Hoh said there was a road out turning a 4 mile hike into a 9 mile hike. Anybody have any info on this?? Thanks

BJ

2. In previous years, you could drive from the ranger station along a windy dirt road to the Whiskey Bend trailhead above the inlet end of Lake Mills. From there, it is between 2 and 4 miles to the "Ranch" section, depending of where you wanted to go. Part of that road washed out this winter; repairs are scheduled for October, I believe. Until then, cars are not allowed on the road to Whiskey Bend, adding 4 miles of uphill to a hike to the "Ranch". They are allowing hikers, bicyclists, and stock on the damaged road.

Steve

3. I'm heading out there next month too. That road closure is AGONY! That is a LOT of uphill to the traihead. Well at least it has probably taken a bit of pressure off the river this year.

4. Hi Baseball, I'm the guy you met on the Hoh. Good info above, just wanted to add I talked with a ranger last week and he said they are trying to have the road fixed by ~ middle of Sept. Who knows, but at least it's a glimmer of hope. But there are many pullouts along Olympic Hotsprings Road with good water and plenty other trails in the area. Also a ~2 mile hike from Herrick Rd. to Altair Campground you may want to check out. Good luck, Chad

PS How was the Hoh? Me no early summer runs but did bump into some dollies.

5. I was on the Elwha this weekend. The road to the whiskey bend trailhead is still closed from some minor washouts with no sign of being fixed anytime soon. If you're willing to make the hike,
    you'll have the river to yourself. I think people think it's closed already. Lots of nice, above average fish for the adventurous angler. You can fish between the dams as well, but there are far fewer pockets than the upper river. It's still worth going, though.

6. I'm planning on making the hike to Elwha this weekend. It will be my first time fishing it...do I need waders or can you wet wade it? Was just looking to take as little gear as possible if the hike is as tough as it sounds like it is?

7. Waders are optional but I always bring them. That water is pretty cold. Felt sole boots ARE necessary as the river bottom is slicker than snot. The hike in is only tough depending on how far you plan to go. There is very limited river access on the trail. Humes Ranch is 3 miles from the trailhead, after that the next access is at 7+ miles at Mary's Falls. Of course you can add 5 miles of uphill to those distances if the road is still closed. I will be heading out that way in a couple weeks so be sure to post a report.