a little fishing help?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by seattlenative, Feb 27, 2008.

1. seattlenative

seattlenative New Member

New to the site...and I love it!

Usually when it comes to stillwater FF I spend most of my time in Mason County where my family has a place. Lately however, I have been getting the itch to leave work early or sneak away on the weekends for a few hours and do some stillwater fishing closer to home.

Can anybody (or is anybody willing) to help me out and give me some advice on what lakes within a 30 minute drive of Seattle can provide some good flyfishing from shore? Ideally something that is actually open in Feb and March.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

2. CoastalCutt

CoastalCutt Member

Media:
    Although not stillwater, you live real close to some great SRC fishing. And if you want you could always give Green lake a go, especially after it's stocked in April sometime.

3. seattlenative

seattlenative New Member

CoastalCutt,

Thanks - I've actually never fished salt water. Maybe I should give it a shot.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    There are a shit pot of lakes in Seattle proper. All you need a a map of Seattle and have a go at them. I think that most of them are open year around, but I could be wrong. They all have trout in them. But you need some kind of floating device to get on them.

Jim

5. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

You'll hear a lot about Beaver, Rattlesnake, Pine and other. These ARE NOT necessarily open now, so check the regs. Also, what OMJ said.

We have a place up at Mason Lake. There are some real surprises in that area if you get out and explore a bit. Native cutts is some of those "ya gotta bushwhack for it ponds".

MB

6. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Media:
    A few suggestions that might help, check the regs, is the lake open? is it a put and take lake that might be fished out or is it a selective fishery that could have good holdovers possibly, check the stocking reports, this is a good indicator of what you might find in the way of fish, has it been recently stocked to provide earlier fishing than somewhere else, then decide what you are interested in catching, the stocking reports will give you clues to this also, is the lake full of 6 to 8 " plants or does the state put in larger fish. Almost every lake around seattle is managed for some type of fishery and will have fish you just have to decide on do you just want to fish or catch,not always the same this time of year.
    tony

7. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

From Lake Fenwick near Kent, all the way south to Clear Lake in Pierce County there is a long necklace of lakes that get stocked annually with rainbows. Most of them have a few holdovers and I suppose are salted with a few triploids. You can find all of them with pubic access from your Washington Gazetteer. They all offer good fly-fishing from opening day through about the end of May.
    Cheers,
    Les

8. seattlenative

seattlenative New Member

This site is great! Thanks to everybody who replied and gave me good advice. Happy fishing