A Little Fly Tying Help

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by 4bondys, Jul 25, 2006.

1. 4bondys

4bondys New Member

Howdy All,

I am a new member. I just moved up from Nevada where I spent the last two or so years. I had lived in Kirkland, Washington before that, but now my wife and I live in Kent. I took a fly tying class with Carson City Flyfishing Club, but missed a couple of days. I am a stay at home dad with twin 10 mo. old girls. The days I missed were hiar packing and wings. If there is anyone out there interested in maybe teaching those two things, I would really appreciate the help. When I lived here before, I was not yet flyfishing and still have yet to catch a fish on a fly rod.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Lloyd

2. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Media:
    Home Page:
    Lloyd - Since you are in Kent, I'd suggest that you visit Clark and Anil at Puget Sound Fly Co. I bet they'll help you out. They are great guys, awesome tyers and site sponsors! Can't beat that!

-Kristin

3. 4bondys

4bondys New Member

That sounds like an excellent idea. Thanks for the direction!!

Lloyd

4. 4bondys

4bondys New Member

OK... I tried calling the Puget Sound Fly Company. I feel that $80 is a little too much to spend to learn how to pack hair and make wings. Does anyone else have an idea or maybe willing to show me. I'm a fast learner. :beathead:

Thanks

5. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Media:
    If you are ever in the Vancouver/Portland area give a shout and I will show you those techniques - no charge required. Email is best. flydresser@hotmail.com

Regards,

6. Michael Brady

Michael Brady New Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I just thought to myself...Who packs hair? I don't have one of those neat little packers so I just clip the elk/deer hair and straighten to about even length before I tie them on.

Wings, all depends, when I do tie a fly that requires wings I generally use floating mallard feathers

7. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Hi Lloyd,

Let me suggest a few other options. First, there are a number of good videos/DVDs pitched to different levels of ability that can describe those (and other) techniques for you. Some shops have videos/DVDs available for a several day rental or you can buy from their stock or from the web. There are often reviews of these videos in the flyfishing mags (search online) that may provide some perspective on how well done they are, etc. Two tiers who I like at Skip Morris (Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple) and AK Best; but I don't know how recent/available their introductory videos. This will enable you to review them at leisure at home while the two little ones are napping. You can follow their direction while working at your own vise and review the trickier sections.

Second, many flyfishing clubs and some shops have tying get togethers (monthly or thereabouts). Attend one in your area and ask someone to demonstrate. I'm sure that you'll have lots of help (and make some great local connections).

Third, there are several web sites that have step by step directions, with photos or even video clips, that illustrate how to construct wings or pack hair. A few simple searches can provide you with a wealth of possibilities (or PM me and I'll dig through my bookmarks for some sites that I like).

Fourth, if you are really committed to flytying (and I strongly recommend it - it's a obsessive blast), you may want to consider purchasing The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference by Leeson and Schollmeyer ($65 on Amazon). It does't have just one method for stacking hair, but 22 pages of options. The wing section is over 100 pages.

Steve

8. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Just wanted to say welcome to Kent. I will be moving to Kent myself on Monday. Maybe this winter we can get together and learn from each other some tying tips. Until at least mid fall, all my tying will be for the salt, but after the salmon run is over I will be back to tying for trout and Steelhead.

9. FT

FT Active Member

Instead of calling and asking the folks at Puget Sound Fly Company about a fly tying lesson, why not just stop in and see the guys there and ask if one of them would show you how to use a hair stacking tool and stack deer hair for a wing? I'd be willing to bet one of them would be more than willing to do this. My experience over many years of fly fishing and tying has been that the folks at the local fly shop are almost always very willing to help beginners and show a person how something is done. Just be courteous and ask when there are not a not of customers needing their help.

Besides, it is always a good thing to get to know the folks at the local fly shop because there will always be some little thing (or larger item) you need.

10. davpot

davpot davpot

Home Page:
    Hi Lloyd: Heres a WILD Thought!: Why not just check out your public library and see what they have available or what you can get via INTER LIBRARY LOAN? Us library supporters got to stick together!:ray1: :thumb:

11. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Absolutely. The more people who use or request books within a specific category (fly fishing, fly tying, etc.), the more likely that the library system will allocate funds for future purchases within that category.

Currently the King County library system has (1) copy of The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference by Leeson and Schollmeyer, with (1) hold on it.
    Not sure if Kent is within King County but if not they will do an inter-library loan as mentioned. I have had books, music and video loaned from as far as southern Oregon through KCLS.

http://www.kcls.org

The best way to support your local library is to join it and use it.

TC

12. Curtis King

Curtis King Fish Magnet

Media:
    Lloyd,
    I second Cabezon's comments, expecially regarding the Benchside Book. I started tying seriously about 5 years ago, and that book is THE authority on techniques. You can probably find it for a good price on e-bay or Amazon. Watch out - once you start tying, you can't go back.

:beer2:

13. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Media:
    Amen to that.... all you think about is the best way to attatch things to your hook to imitate some aquatic insect. Pretty soon you are growing aquatic insects so your flies will look more life like, and then..... it just goes on, and on. :beathead:

14. Jim Inmon

Jim Inmon New Member

ok i found on the web flytyingthe anglers art on omn . all types of downloads for tying. good luck

15. This is an old thread revival at it's best. But the one that really sent me into a all out, all alone laugh to yourself thread revival was when someone asked Philster if they still had "such and such" for sale, it was in the classifieds. Then the guy got pissed because Philster didn't respond. Philster finally acknowledged the guy saying the thread was 3.5 years old.
    :rofl:
    Frank.
    I wonder if that guy ever contacted the fly shop?