A Little Help.... Please

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Hortuna, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Hortuna

Hortuna New Member

Hello,

I'm looking for a little info. I'll be traveling on business the second week of April on both sides of the state. Can anyone tell me what rivers / area's I should be targeting in April? Salmon, Steelhead, Trout ?

Thank in advance,

Brad Horton

2. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

The Yakima is normally in fine shape with great hatches and hungry trout.

3. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Kind of depends on what you are looking for. Rivers / stillwater? Do you have a floating device or is it a wading thing? You also have an option for the salt. Both sides of the state - what areas?

MB

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I don't believe that any skinny water will be open except the Yakima and Rocky Ford Creek. Of course most lakes will be open if they are ice free at that time.

5. gldntrt40

gldntrt40 Member

April is usually prime time for central and eastern washington lakes-the early openers and selective fisheries.. or you can head to Montana for some pre-run off too!

6. gldntrt40

gldntrt40 Member

Western Washington in April is pretty dead-whatever steelhead rivers that are supposed to be open will 99% sure be closed for lack of escapement.

7. Achilles

Achilles Member

Not going to be much fishing when you'll be here, many of the rivers are closing due to low fish counts

8. Hortuna

Hortuna New Member

Thanks Guys. I have a tradeshow in Tocoma and customers to visit in Eastern WA. I'll be wading and have a 5 wt single hand and a 7 wt switch. I was hoping to fish rivers. Sounds like the Yakima will be my focus. Any thoughts on areas, lines and bugs to fish.

Thanks again

9. Metalonthefly

Metalonthefly Member

Hortuna,

Not sure where in E. Washington you'll be, but you might also check out Crab Creek (with the easily accessible sections basically North of Ritzville, WA). It's a great creek with a lot of bank access. There are sections that have regulated access where there are bigger fish, but the publicly accessible sections have a lot of fish in the 6 to 12 in. range with some up to 16-18 in. You might also contact Swede's fly shop in Spokane and talk to the owner about other options. http://www.swedesflyshop.com/

Good luck and enjoy your trip.